Alternatives For Champagne Yeast?

1. goldiemaboi Initiate Member

Hi.

I have been using pressurized CO2 initially, but I've had enough of them. I had to change the container yesterday, and note that I had it on very low pressure so that her little would come out, but I discovered this morning that it was already all used up! And since these are expensive, I figured making my own CO2 is much less expensive and easier to maintain.

Anyhow, since I live in Japan, and champagne yeast is imported (which means it is pretty expensive), I was wondering if there are good alternatives to this yeast.

Thank you for your help!

2. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

You can use baking yeast. What CO2 system are you using? If you already have a pressurized system it'll be a lot easier to maintain than DIY, with DIY you can't control the output very well and it doesn't last long. A proper pressurized system should last longer than DIY.

3. Jason Watkins Member Member

What type of champaigne yeast are you using? I use Red Star and it's really cheap. Some of the specialty yeasts are very expensive because they're bred specifically to make more tasty wine. For this you don't need anything special. Bread yeast from the grocery store will also work but it's action isn't quite as vigorous. Try adding a multivitamin pill to the mix too. That gives the yeast some micronutrients and helps them thrive.

4. leader716 Initiate Member

When I was playing around with diy co2, I found it to be easier to use citric acid and baking soda, both are easy and cheap to find.