Alternative to using hard well water? Need advice!

mantarae88

Hello everyone
My tap water comes from a well, and while I haven’t had it tested, it is quite hard and full of minerals. The water is cloudy/orange sometimes when it comes out of the tap. Leaves orange stains in toilet bowls/showers. All that stuff.
I’ve been using it in my 5 gallon betta tank for nearly a year, with no problems really.
However, ever since I started performing water changes more regularly, I’ve been having algae problems. I didn’t even think that it could be from the well water until I started researching it.
I have live plants in my tank which seem to do fine, but they get covered in algae. Brown algae grows very fast on the glass. Hair algae everywhere. With each water change I do, the worse it gets (it seems anyway). Im guessing this is due to the large amount of minerals in the water causing algae to thrive.
Not only is the algae unsightly/a bit difficult to remove all the time, but every time I do a 30% water change (once a week) the water is cloudy afterwards, and there’s a TON of white film/flakes that float around the tank, especially on the surface of the water. I’m guessing this is calcium. It usually evens out and dissipates after awhile, but by the time the next water change comes around it’s back again.
Currently I just get water from the tap and use a water conditioner that detoxifies heavy metals. This water is untreated, plus we don’t have a softener. So again, very hard water.
I researched online looking for solutions because I’m tired of the algae and cloudiness/white flakes. I found a blog that said one could purchase an RO/DI unit, then add the minerals back in afterwards. Another option was to mix distilled water in with the well water to a certain ratio, but that seemed tedious.
Are there any possible solutions to this problem? Is there a product available in the form liquid drops or such that can be added like a conditioner, except it’s made for hard water?
Just getting tired of so much algae, I bought nerite snails thinking that would help but they don’t seem to be doing much. I lowered my lighting schedule from 10 hours a day to 7 hours a day. I think it’s mainly the many minerals in the water that’s causing algae though. Plus the water itself is just very unsightly during weekly changes.
Any advice?

PaprikaFish

Some people use spring water, but it isn't practical in larger tanks and can be expensive depending on where you live :(
If you know the specific brand available at stores nearby, you can usually find a water quality report online or test it yourself...

mantarae88

PaprikaFish said:
Some people use spring water, but it isn't practical in larger tanks and can be expensive depending on where you live :(
If you know the specific brand available at stores nearby, you can usually find a water quality report online or test it yourself...
I’ve thought about using spring water, but sadly it’s not readily available near me (in large enough jugs, that is). Distilled water is readily available in those big 5 gallon jugs, which would be ideal, but people say distilled is really bad for fish. Unless you remineralize it and dilute it with the well water, but that again becomes tedious.
The water doesn’t seem to harm the fish or plants but ughhh this algae I swear. Plus I notice whenever I do a water change the tank smells funny. I wonder if it’s the well water.

Top Bottom