Alternative To Api Master Kit?

AllThumbs

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been using the api kit since I started keeping fish, but my hands can't squeeze the bottles anymore. I thought about using a different bottle, just dumping it in an easier to squeeze bottle, but I don't know how to find one that will drop the right amount into the tube.

I know strips are awful, but are they better than nothing?

Any other ideas for someone w/ arthritis and injured hands?

I have help for a lot of my tank stuff, but this isn't something my helper can do, cuz his hands are worse than mine where something like this is concerned.

(can't drive, so can't take water anywhere weekly+).

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe there's a digital version that tests water quality, but I don't know which brand is accurate or not. Why not ask someone to test the water for you?

AllThumbs

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OP says why.

i'll see if i can find some youtubes about the digital kind.

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hach has test kits with powder reagents individually sealed in a little foil pouch. You just flick it to get the powder to settle on the bottom and then cut the top off with scissors. I don't know if that's any easier. They are also quite expensive.

Maybe you can get glass dropper bottles (they should be amber to protect any light-sensitive chemicals)? The rubber bulbs should be easier to use. Just empty the API bottles into them.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oo the hach kits are expensive.

i worry about the droppers because i dont know if the drops will come out right, like if the hole in the bottle lets more of the chemicals drop into the tube. hope that makes sense.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
has anyone tried these?
or

i test for ammonia but these don't have that option. or does anyone know if there are better/more accurate strips?

AllThumbs

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Update: my hands have been ok for a couple weeks, but the past week or so, when I use the API master kit, my nitrates are sky high. I had no idea what could be causing this. It would be high the day after I do a w/c. My tap water is 10, so it's not jacking it up that high. So, my husband had the theory that maybe the API master kit is wrong, so I used the strips and they say that the nitrate levels are fine. I have new bottles of the nitrate test that i got when the API master kits were on sale once. And that one says the nitrates are fine. So I figure 2 out of 3 = nitrates are fine.

Anyone have any idea how to figure out if it's #1 or #2 that's the problem with this particular test in the api master kit? I guess I could just toss both bottles, but I don't know.

p. s. yes, I shook #2 for a long time, hard.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom