Alternative Master Test Kits

conradcpt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

I've been using a Nutrafin Master Test Kit that includes a Ammonia, Nitrite, Calcium, Phosphate, pH, KH, GH, Nitrate and Iron test in a nice little suitcase. I've been wondering what other test kits are out there and started searching around. I've heard a lot of people on here mention the API kits, but I can't seem to find a test kit that includes all the tests that my current kit includes.

Any recommendations?

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The API master kit only includes ph (high and low range), ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. However API also makes test kits for phosphate, GH/kh, copper and a bunch more.

You just have to buy the other stuff separately to make a kit like the one you are using. On the plus side the individual tests cost between $5-$10 so it doesn't take a lot of money. You can also replace the individual tests cheaply if you use a particular test more often than others.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have only used the API master kit and most people in general, rarely have to buy the other stuff not included in the kit ( GH/KH, copper, etc ) but if needed, can do so for fairly cheap.

How much is that complete test kit? I may be inclined to give it a try next time I need to replace my supplies.... I like the fact it has EVERYTHING ( because sometimes even some of the api solutions are hard to find ) and that it comes in that nice travel kit.... LOVE IT!

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know. An API master kit costs $16 on amazon and that clears ph, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. The iron, phosphate, GH/kh, and calcium can all be had for about $6 each (also on amazon). Maybe add another $6 for the iron kit.

That's 16 for the master and another 30 for the other tests. So about $45?

You're paying 30+ for the case. Also those bottles look small on the nutrafin kit. How many of each individual test do you get out of that? Heck toss in a pack of replacement test tubes and you'll still save about $20 with the API tests.

macos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My LFS sells the API Master test kit for $50... FIFTY DOLLARS!
I like to support local businesses, and am willing to spend a few extra dollars to do it, but when I can get it on Amazon for $17, and tag in the GH/KH or a bottle of Seachem Prime to hit $25 for free shipping, I'm gonna do that.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try Sera brand. I heard their test kits are much better than API and much easier to read. You can usually order online.

conradcpt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure how many test I've got out of then but I has lasted me very long. When a bottle gets empty I just replace it with that specific bottle. I don't have to buy the whole kit again.

I paid about R800 (South African Rand) for it. That is about $80. I got a huge discount as I bought it with my tank and other equipment. Usually its about R1500...

If I replace it with something else I want a complete set and case like that again though. I'm special like that. Lol.

I'll look at the Sera brand.

Thanks for all the replies.

JRC3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tetra makes the 'Laborett' test set and I have used it side by side with an API kit and the readings were identical. The only drawback is the Tetra kit doesn't test nitAte. But it does test GH and KH. I think Tetra also makes a larger kit.

I know they are popular in Europe so maybe it is available to you too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom