Alternative Foods ? Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Rocco04, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Currently in my tank I have 3 endlers, one guppy, three khuli loaches, one dwarf pleco, four pigmy Cory’s and two golden back yellow shrimp. I am currently feeding them a worm shaped food but am looking for different alternatives ? I know in my local fish store they use zucchini but I’m open to all options !

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,299
  3. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,321
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your standard flake food will work for everything in there. The pleco would like a piece of driftwood to eat and zucchini. Also a algae wafer a couple of time a week.

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,299
    I advise on a variety of different food as it is healthier than feeding the same type of food everyday to your fish.

5. wintermute

wintermuteValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +170
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My Khuli Loaches love hikari sinking wafers (the bottom dweller ones). My mollies also think that they are the best thing I put in the tank and it is quite the spectacle when there are a couple of mollies and a bunch of khuli loaches all trying to eat the same wafer!

Tony.

6. sarah.grobbelaar

sarah.grobbelaarNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Cucumber is a winner for the plec and bloodworm will rarely go uneaten with your guys! My friend puts spinach in hers. A good varied diet is good for everyone :)

7. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,110
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Variety is the best diet for most fish, including a good staple food (flakes, granules, whatever).
    You could try frozen... bloodworm, brine shrimp, daphnia, cyclops, lobster eggs...
    Also another dried food would add variety.
    ‘Dwarf Plec’ can mean a lot of things. Do you know what species it is? It might benefit from wood, veg, or the same foods as the other fish, depending on species.

8. OP
    OP
    Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I dont exactly know the specific kind of pleco. I have a nice sized piece of spider wood in my tank and they absolutely love it. I put a piece of Zucchini in today and I already caught the pleco on it along with my loaches eating it as well. I bought frozen brine shrimp at my local store today since they didn’t have frozen daphnia. Will look to add another dry food ! Any suggestions?

9. wintermute

Ratings:
    +170
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    All my fish love sera san tropical colour flakes.

Tony.

10. Casper&Mushu

Casper&MushuValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +123
    Experience:
    5 years
    Tank seems a lot like my Tropical fish tank, I feed them Bloodworm, but another good option they seem to love is Frozen brine shrimp, they go crazy over that stuff.

If you are looking for dry foods, I have the Aqua one tropícal flakes.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  11. Ferretlady

FerretladyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +183
    Experience:
    3 years
    Your fish will really enjoy getting a variety in their diet. Among other things, one of my corys' favorite foods is Bug Bites (by Fluval). The corys and my bristlenose pleco both love Repashy gel foods too - "Grub Pie" is the cory's top choice & pleco like "Soylent Green" the best. Of course, I think my plec would probably try to devour an entire zucchini a day if I let her - she goes wild for her zucchini!

12. wintermute

Ratings:
    +170
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I took a video tonight of the khulis and mollies battling over a wafer

Tony.

13. OP
    OP
    Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Great video ! I’ll defiantly look into the wafer as another source of dry food ! I got brine shrimp yesterday at my local store and trying it for the first time today !

Become a Fishlore Member