Alternate To Hob Or Canister?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Galaxyfish, Jun 19, 2018.

1. GalaxyfishNew MemberMember

I have a 40 gallon long, currently with two HOB biowheel filters totaling 250 GPH. I hate these filters. Every time I try to mod the media, I get too much bypass, and the wheels stop spinning. They don't generate enough suction to get the detritus of the sand. They're noisy, and they cause too much evaporation.

I've been thinking about n Aquaclear 70, but I don't understand how water flows through it. So, I worry that water would just stagnate at the bottom, while circulated water flows through the path of least resistance. Am I crazy?

I want to switch to a canister filter, but the location makes it impossible to place the canister below the tank. What other options do I have? I'm still a newbie.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

You could use a power filter.

With a fan-propelled powerhead, the water is pumped through the media and the pump, and then out of the filter. The entire process happens underwater

Buy now! Only $29.99!

3. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Sponge filter is also an option.
    Pros- Cheap to run
    Cons- takes up room in the tank, air pumps tend to be loud

4. E150GTValued MemberMember

I don’t think any HOB will get all of the detritus out of the sand. That’s why they make gravel vacs. I have an AC70 on my 29 gallon. It gets a lot of gunk out as I put some filter floss in there but I still have the vacuum. The floss is on the bottom so I know it’s flowing properly from bottom to top. I removed the biowheel off my penguin because it stopped turning. I just use sponges now inside, and especially on the intake.

5. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

The Marineland Biowheels normally don't work at all. The main stuff that makes the tank run is what you have in the housing and not the wheel.

Why is the location difficult? Can you take a picture of the set up including the stand and perhaps somebody can recommend a canister that might fit?

6. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

in order for a hob to completely get as much waste as possible, you may need a power head. However, it's unrealistic for a hob to gey everything. That's why we do water changes to clean up the rest.

a sponge filter is a good choice, however it may not do the greatest job at cleaning up your substrate. Either way you may want to add a power head or wavemaker of some kind.

7. OP
    OP
    G

GalaxyfishNew MemberMember

So, the tank is on a built in niche, that I think was originally intended to be a desk. I'd have to drill holes in it (which Im really not willing to do) to get a canister below. Or else, I'd just have cords andatubes everywhere. Either way, I have a toddler in the house, so that's a no-go.
    I Did put in a power head, which helps. But my platy got caught in it and it chopped off her tail fin!
    I hate hate hate the biowheel. I only have them because they were free.
    What about an internal/submersible filter? Would something like that work?

8. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

A powerhead or sponge filter it is then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice