Alternate To Discus

1. Vichu Member Member

I need fish which is colourful and peaceful as discus but that doesn't need maintenance like discus do.
    It has to coexist with angels as much as them.
    Currently am working on my stockings and going to remove two balas in there.
    Current stockings
    5-Angels
    2-Balas
    1-RTS
    4-Melon barbs

120 gallon low tech planted tank

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

German blue rams are beautiful fish which are compatible with the angel but may be bullied by the RTS

3. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

How about bumping the angels up? Rather than having mixed cichlids floating around, would look cool in a 120 IMO just angles. I like one centrepiece species i find they make the tank look professional lol.

4. Vichu Member Member

Already I have GBR in my wishlist and also neon tetras. But afraid that my angels would eat neon school.

5. Vichu Member Member

Considering this I can give a try but my LFS doesn't keep many varieties in angel.Need to insist them.

6. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Its up to you I'm not really a stocking expert i just think you would be better off with only angels as your main feature. Also why not just bump the melon barbs up too? One big school is always better as the shoal is bigger, just my opinion lol it sounds like I'm telling you not to get fish but more angels and definitely more melon barbs would be what id want if i had that tank.

7. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Neons need cooler water than angels and GBR apart from the issue with angels eating neons.

8. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

How about some Bosemani Rainbows? Super colorful, and peaceful.

9. Vichu Member Member

Nice option though,planning for online purchase instead of believing on lFS.

10. Vichu Member Member

Yes obviously am going to increase melon barbs count!

They are cooler schooling fish especially in the noon time.

11. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Usually when someone is asking for an alternative to discus, the first cichlids that are suggested are severums (very colorful, peaceful, similar look) or Uaru (color, peaceful, similar water requirements, more hardy). Unfortunately with these species, you are going to be pretty stocked as they both get larger than discus do. Uaru also do better in numbers so unfortunately I do not think you have room for these guys and they also require much warmer water than your RTS can handle. Severums on the other hand you may have room for 1 or 2. Maybe more if you decreased your angel numbers some.

12. Vichu Member Member

Severums are cool ,will they go with angels and plants safe?

13. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Angels yes...plant safe...not so much. Certain plants they will leave alone like anubias and ferns. But anything soft leaved may get nibbled or completely eaten. Some say that if you feed them a veggie heavy diet they'll leave them alone...but the sevs I've kept (2 golds and a rotkiel) ate my plants regardless of diet. Though they leave my anubias and ferns alone.