Alternate Size Advice

1. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello.

So this is the story.

I've been thinking about/planning a 30 gallon tank build. I already have a stocking list in mind.

This stocking includes a Pearl Gourami for the top/mid areas and 2 Bolivian Rams for the bottom. Don't remember the rest, but I have it bookmarked somewhere.

This is the problem. Called me closest PetCo (over an hour away), and yes they are doing the $1 Per Gallon Sale. Yay! No, they do not carry a 30 gallon tank. Dimensions for such a tank are 36"l, 12"w, and 16"h. What would be the best alternate size to look for?

I know a 29 is closest in volume, but the dimensions are completely different. I thought maybe a 38 gallon? If anything it's 3" taller which could help with schools. Is there another size I'm not thinking of or don't know about?

Please advise, really wanting to go tomorrow while I'm off work and have a little cash. Been waiting for this sale to save some money in the long run. Thank you for your time.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

3. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Still looks like a 38 would be closest. Would love a 40, but that's a bit much for this. Honestly, 38 is more than I bargained for. So aggravated they don't carry a 30! Lol. Anyways, my ideal setup was my current 20 long, 10 quarantine (just recently planned), and the 30. Then on down the road a ways maybe a 55 or 75 to include angelfish. Not that you cared to know any of that.

You do agree on the 38 though? Hopefully they have that size!

4. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    Petco usually has the $1 per gallon sale on only a few select sizes. I've known them to sell the 10, 20 high, 20 long, 29, 40 breeder and 55 for $1 per gallon.

They do sell the 38 as a combined kit with a stand.

5. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

You've got to be kidding me. Lol.

Well.....maybe I should get a 40. It'll just be that much harder to get the equipment for it and a stand or sturdy piece of furniture.

6. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I really like my 40 breeder.

7. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

The Brooklyn stand Petco sells isn't too pricey, especially if you get it on sale. I have one on my 55 and really like it.

8. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news! You are right to call ahead and check which sizes are on sale. Maybe the 38 combo will be on sale, too!

9. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Now THAT sounds awesome! Here's to hoping! Even if I replace the equipment with better I have spares then. I bet the kit is a pretty penny though. Might not be able to swing it.

Thanks for the advice.

Wonder how hard it is to find a stand for that? Or a sturdy piece of furniture. Lol.

Is there just a plain 40 gallon size, or is it only 40 breeders?

10. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

The Brooklyn stand is available for the 40 breeder...

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I have that one as well for my 55.

12. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Dunno about a regular 40 at Petco. That would be cool!

13. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I got the Brooklyn stand, for $10 cheaper on amazon than from petco, but petco was the amazon seller...go figure! A sturdy piece of furniture would work, or a few 2x4 + paneling or headboard and diy! (I'm not that brave)
    I also had my husband customize the stand with a shelf, canister cover and powdercoat!

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think that the 29 is a very nice size! My favourite though is the 40 breeder. There's just something about the footprint that's extra awesome to me :)

I have one, not yet set up, but I was lucky enough to score what I can only call a 50 breeder. Same footprint as the 40B but taller! My angels live in that.

The stand is an industrial steel unit that I repurposed.

15. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I do like the 29, but afraid it won't support the stocking I really want. Plus, if I go with a 38 or 40 I already have some new ideas tickling the back of my mind. Which might be a bad thing. Lol.

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Go for it! You know you want to... ;)

17. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Only $10 more for the tank during the sale.

18. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

See?! It's meant to be:D

19. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I'll have to completely redo all my research on the necessary equipment. Already pretty much had a 30 all planned out.

20. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so bad:angelic: