Alternate Filter Media

1. myriad1973 Well Known Member Member

Does anybody use filter floss in a refillable media cartridge for a Penguin? I wanted to see if it is less prone to clogging and if it is easier to rinse clean. The Marineland cartridges tend to clog too quickly for my liking.

Also, is there a big money savings switching from carbon to Purigen? I know it may seem like a silly question, but I just wanted some feedback. I know Purigen lasts much longer.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Purigen lasts forever - it gets recharged. You would have to get "the bag" to go with it. Not just any media bag, THE bag :)

When I ran the penguins, I used AC sponges in them. You could use that media holder for the purigen.

3. myriad1973 Well Known Member Member

What I was thinking was using the Purigen and Matrix in my canister filter in place of carbon and bioballs, but I wanted to use bulk filter floss (cut to fit) in place of the Penguin cartridges. The only concern I have is the effectiveness of mechanical filtration using that method instead of the Penguin cartridges.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Honestly, I think anything you use will be better quality than the penguin cartridges, and more cost effective.

5. myriad1973 Well Known Member Member

I guess it wouldn't hurt to just give it a try.