Also my first salt water tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Master Yoda, Jul 30, 2015.

1. M

Master Yoda Valued Member Member

[quote name=&quot;Master Yoda&quot; post=2134458]Totally following this thread. I just got a used 20g setup from my lfs. I've had 0 ammonia nitrites and nitrates. PH of 8.2. Just set it up Thursday. The owner of the lfs is the one coaching me on it. They got some big SW setups at the store. Once salinity and temp stabilized he said I could add LR and cuc. I got 5 hermit crabs and 5 asteria snails. I had read in another forum that a good rule of thumb was 1 crab per 5 gallons of water. However I think I over did it because today I found one of my crabs dead. All my water parameters seem fine though. Mdlc805, are you using ro/di water to refill or just tap water? I'm on a well and it doesn't seem to have posed any problems thus far.[/QUOTE]<br />
    <br />
    Did you acclimate the crabs and snails well? They can be quite sensitive if not acclimated properly. Also it's best to use RODI or RO water. I don't know about well water, but I would get a TDS meter to check if your water is good. It would be best if you can start your own thread, just for any other members won't get mixed up with this thread :) <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    M

The used heater that the lfs have me went out in the last 24 hours. Ran to the store this evening and got 2 so it doesn't happen again. The water was 73, I hope that doesn't affect anything too much.
    Tested the water after replacing the heater. Results are as follows:
    PH: 8.2
    Ammonia: 0-.25ppm
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 5ppm
    I'm following mdlc805's thread since he's about a month ahead of me. I am heavily thinking about getting my own Rodi unit but after what I spent to get the tank set up I need to wait a couple paychecks.
    I also need to get a new light for it. Thinking about Current USA LED.
    I've got a couple HOB filters running as nano fuges. Don't remember the model off the top of my head but they're both Marineland. All normal filter media has been removed including bio wheels. I have chaeto in the small one. I took a charcoal filter apart and am using the black plastic screen to hold the chaeto in the unit. In the other large HOB I've got some canister filter media in mesh bags. I bought a small LED light to put on the back of them.

Also I should note I had a 75g planted tank at one time. Just SW is new to me. It's like a completely different world.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    M

The polyps the lfs gave me seem to be holding up alright. There are also a few starfish.
    uploadfromtaptalk1438241256667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438241149477.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438241189991.jpg

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Nice tank :). Yes an RODI unit will help a lot. Here is a link to one  
    How long has your tank been running? Corals are sensitive to ammonia.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks! I can't wait to start making it look pretty. I'll check out that rodi unit. What do you guys use to store the water?

6. AquaticBrandon

Well since my reef is only a 29 gallon tank, I do a 5 gallon water change. The day before my water change I mix my water, Then I just change it and add in the new freshly mixed water. But if you want to have stored saltwater, you can buy those big Brute bins and have your water stored in there.

7. OP
    OP
    M

So, if I understand things correctly, I can slowly begin to add things once my ammonia hits 0 and stays there?

8. AquaticBrandon

Yes, once your ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Begin stocking the tank slowly

9. OP
    OP
    M

For my first non coral addition I'm thinking of a goby/shrimp pairing. Does it matter which I add first coral or fish/shrimp? I picked up one of those drip acclimator things for when I get corals and fish.

10. AquaticBrandon

What size tank and what fish are you thinking of adding?

11. OP
    OP
    M

20g. I did some research on the Achilles Tang my lfs has and realized my tank is not for him. So, I'm open to whatever will fit. When I mentioned to the lfs owner I was thinking of anemones and a clownfish he said that's not a good idea if I'm also going to have corals. So, I don't know what I'm thinking of adding, besides some nice looking corals. I have a friend that leads HS students on marine expeditions during the summer and he had a pic of a neon goby that I thought was pretty cool looking. Though I don't know if my tank if big enough for 2 gobies. I would like to have a larger fish like a tang or butterfly if they'd be ok by themselves in that small of a tank. I know I obviously can't have a parrot or trigger fish.

12. AquaticBrandon

In a 20 gallon tank you can stock it with 3-4 small fish. Like a pair of clownfish, a cardinal fish or chromis and a Goby. I wouldn't do an anemone for now. Anemones are known to be pretty difficult to take care of and need some good lighting. I don't think any tang will be able to live in a 20 gallon tank. A lot of tangs get pretty big and swim a lot. I wouldn't do 2 gobies in the 20 gallon tank. They will be territorial and will compete for the same space/food. It might work in a larger aquarium though.

13. OP
    OP
    M

Yeah, I was just reading about tangs. So I'll start with the goby and shrimp and go from there. I also want to get better lighting. All this is making me want to start setting up the empty 55g I have sitting at home as a reef tank, but that's going to have to wait until I get this tank going and know what I'm doing. Just hope I don't get the velvet whatever stuff as the other guy did in his new tank. One thing I do have that I'm debating on getting rid of is the astapia(sp) anemone. There are about 4 of them at the moment. Might get a peppermint shrimp too.

14. AquaticBrandon

Yeah this is making me want to convert my 60 gallon into a reef, but my 29 gallon reef will be good for now. Aiptasia is a pest, a peppermint shrimp can get rid of that. They also sell medications to get rid of it.

15. OP
    OP
    M

Doing a water change today. Water specs are:
    Ammonia: 0-.25
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: About 10
    PH: 8.4

For the water change I went to Walmart and bought the drinking water that says "Processed by reverse osmosis and/or distillation and ozonation." To try and get away from using my well water.
    I've also discovered a creature that likes crevasses. It has tentacles. There are alternating black and brown bands along the length of the tentacles. I'll try and get a picture. It moved from a hole in the liverock to the hole in the top of the heater where the cord goes in. So I haven't seen a body. The tentacles look like they might belong to a brittle star but I can't tell.

16. OP
    OP
    M

Here's the mysterious creature.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AquaticBrandon

Could be a bristle star

18. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Agreed, probably mini brittle stars.

19. OP
    OP
    M

My lfs has one that's huge. What do I need to feed it to get it that big? Ask the lfs obviously but they're closed until tomorrow and I want to know now. Haha

20. OP
    OP
    M

My tank is becoming more alive every day. Over the last couple days I've discovered 2 bristle worms. One about 4 inches long and 1/4" diameter. And another about an inch or so about 1/8" or less diameter. And lots of little critters that are maybe copepods. One of my snails fried itself on the heater. How soon can I add corals or fish? Everything seems to be stable since the first water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice