Alrighty fishlore! Let the ideas begin!

1. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I have a 20gal planted tank! (Divided for 2 bettas)

BUT! I'm finding it hard to maintain the plants with the divider (trimming, cleaning, propagating ect). And i'm moving and I want that tank in the living room and I find it looks "not pretty" with the divider. It's hard to explain but anyways I think I want something different.

First thing: I do have a betta in there right now (Chronos) he loves it but I find a 20gal entirely for himself makes the tank look "uninhabited" I want more life in my "show tank". So is it possible to have a community tank with a betta? (I don't think i'll go with that but i'm open to suggestions) If not I have an other tank Chronos can go in, unless someone wants to buy him. He is show quality.

Ok here we go! I'd love as many ideas as you guys can think of!! Give me ideas on a new stocking list! :)

Ph is 6.8
    I want fish that won't eat all my plants
    I don't care if its community, species only or one "larger" interesting fish!

Something odd and out of the ordinary is welcomed!

I hope this will fun for you guys as much as its fun for me! :) if anyone is interested in Chronos, here he is:

image.jpg

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

3. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Thanks I looked at the link. And ya I don't think I want to risk buying stock and have chronos not approve lol!! So i'm open to an entirely new stock!

4. FishyWater2525 Member Member

5. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Is that to go with bettas? Or on their own? Cuz you guys don't have to worry about including the betta! I'll look into that fishywater! :)

6. Anthony10 Member Member

Very pretty beta!

-Anthony

7. mg13 Well Known Member Member

Bettas should really be alone. And make sure not to OVER stock if you do put something in with Chronos

but he will really be much happier alone.

I would buy him without a second thought... but i don't have space. My new aquarium is going to be ten gallons, and i am going to divide it in two, but i don't have it yet, and I do not want to have to make him downsize.. and i do not have enough money to pay for what he looks worth... and i have people who must first agree before i go and buy another fish...and i don't really want to have any fish sent too me... and ... uhh, i would really want him though, HE WON FISH OF THE MONTH! HE'S GORGEOUS!

sorry, didn't really talk much about what you could stock it with...

8. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Ya I had put the idea out there to see what was gonna come up. But I wasn't really planning on having a community tank with Chronos in it. So any suggestions on a nice planted tank stock would be appreciated :) I will put chronos in the "doesn't have to be so pretty cuz it won't be in the living room tank" lol!!! But it will be the same size so either way I think he'll be happy! Now I don't know what I want to put in this tank? Lol

Thanks for the compliments, if Chronos would understand i'm sure he'd be flattered,...or cocky who knows!? Lol

I was thinking a shrimp tank? Or a balanced community tank with bottom dwellers (smaller cory species), with mid and high range compatible fish. Or a species only tank but I would want something different and unique.

Oh and just to be clear, no worries about stocking with a betta I will keep him alone in the extra tank. Now I just need ideas to stock my planted tank lol

9. Anthony10 Member Member

Shrimp tank!!! There are so many colorful species In the trade and I love all of them! If you go with this idea you could look on live-aquaria for tank specs/ph/temp!

-Anthony

10. billybaldwin3 Initiate Member

So i was just searching the Web and found this thread, i was not even a member before now, i just wanted to post and say that it seems like you're all going by the MYTH, yes it's a MYTH, that bettas need to be kept alone.

They actually do quite well in community tanks. I have done this SEVERAL times, right now i have a bettas with 5 or 6 other fish.

The betta is actually the one that would usually be the victim.

As long as they're with mild mannered fish they do well, more active even. The fish they are kept with just need to be peaceful. Nothing like barbs, which are fin nippers(although i did keep one with 5 barbs, plus some others in a 20 gal successfully, but i think they had adequate space).

Seriously, bettas are GREAT community fish.

11. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Is this a 20 gal long?

Let's see... if I had a 20 gal long, I would do black sand substrate, a long, thicker (like mopani) driftwood piece, maybe shaped like an arch, and do some java moss along it. In one corner I would have either a couple of tallish rocks or another taller chunk driftwood with some red ludwigia or rotala or something behind, and a couple of shorter plants in front/on the hardscape pieces. Along the back on the other side maybe some crypts that get nice and tall? Ehh, I'd have to draw this out to really figure out how it should be arranged.

Uhhh, right, then creatures. I'd have a couple of nerites, the ones that are copper and with the black dots along their shell, or the striped ones. Errrr... orange cherry shrimp (or red, but I'm really fond of the orange ones, and someone on Fishlore sold them to me XD), and a little school of habrosus cories. And then a school of 8 or so cardinal tetras or gold neons or black neons. Some nice little tetra with a little color, anyway.

ETA that that's what I would do if I had a 20 gal long with 6.8 pH, not if I had a 20 gal long in my own house with 7.6 pH XD

12. bellachan Well Known Member Member

So many great ideas! Lol unfortunately I have a 20gal tall -_- i'll show you guys a picture of what I have in the tank (don't worry i'm going to rescape now that it's not divided lol)

And I love little tetras. I really think I would like a school in my tank. Corys are cute to but I don't think my substrate is good for them it's a little sharp.

image.jpg

13. Anthony10 Member Member

You could also have a crawfish tank? I've seen them in black, white, orange, blue, electric blue, red, orange/red, brown, and I once saw a yellowish colored one!

-Anthony

14. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Are white clouds/chinese danios hard to get? I think I school of those would do well in my tank?

15. Anthony10 Member Member

I know live aquaria sells them, but it depends on your lfs, normally you can order specific fish if they don't have them!

-Anthony

16. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Oooh... okay, then in that case I would do some giant val, to try to make one of those nice walls of swaying val, do that in the back left reaching towards the center. On the right I would probably do some scattered hardscape with a couple of shorter plants in the front of them and some red rotala or something behind. Then center some nice driftwood piece.

Minnows would be nice then, maybe some of the albino/golden ones? Shrimp should still do well in that temperature though I would change the color depending on what color the minnows are LOL with golden WCMM I would probably do red RCS. I would still totally keep nerites XD I believe they should be okay with a slightly lower temperature as well.

ETA that I'm positive that I've seen WCMM in all the fishstores I go to, at some point or another. They should be pretty common, though some might have been feeder fish?

17. Anthony10 Member Member

18. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Will minnows/danios eat the shrimp? Or will the shrimp be stressed at all? Would be really cute to have the shrimp help maintain the plants, with a cute school of small fish to add movement to the tank! :)

If the shrimp don't work. Can I fit a "centerpiece" fish like an angel?

Oh and I totally agree on the Val! It's already on my list of plants to order :)

19. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Hm, forgot about that. There seems to be mixed experiences, similar to my luck with my betta--he has admitted defeat when it comes to adult shrimp; they're just too fast for him. I also keep him well fed and he's just not interested in them, though he must eat shrimplets if he finds them, because the population doesn't grow as fast as my shrimp only tank.

Anyway, you have a decently sized tank, and if it is planted heavily enough, the shrimp would have some hiding places and hopefully some shrimplets would survive. That combined with making sure the minnows are well-fed would give you your best shot.

20. Watehobit Member Member

Right now, it looks like two separate environments on right and left. They need to be blended together in some way. I recommend pushing the ?dwarf sag? into the rear left corner and spreading whatever is on the right across the rest of the tank. It also might help if a piece of matching rock be added to the front left

I would put some sort of vals as a background on the left side. My personal preference would be Italian Val. And put something bushy in the right rear corner to fill some of the area.

This is what I would do anyway, if that helps.
    Some of the others also have some great advice.