Almost There... Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Safetortoise836, Apr 11, 2018.

1. S

Safetortoise836 New Member Member

Alright i got my tank setup after a monthmof waiting and going through the process of getting a tank and everything i need.I only got 3 mollys,3 rummy nose tetras and a plecko_One rummy nose tetra has past and i believed it to be the water pump i had in there to replicate rippes on the surface and also push all the waste in the tank so that the filter can catch it,and sp i turned it off and i did about a 25% water change as well as putting about a quater percentage of stress coat and stress enzymes ...
    The fish that were left witch is basically the rest seemed really happy with this and the rummy nose tetra even had there red on there nose color up but i am worried about the effect or even acual harm the water change and recoat if you'd say,like hust what that acually did to the fish.Im also worried about my tetras theres only 2 left and they are a very impressive schooling fish and from what i hear they feel more comfortable if there in a bigger svhool so do you think they'll survive until i get new ones (most likely this weekend),as for the plecko he's loving it at least from what i could tell he acually found a hole in a decoration in my tank that he can acually go in.So ofc he scared me and i couldnt find him until i shinned a light in there...anyway i plan on getting more rummy nose,also some ghost shrimp,a apple snail and hopefully about two more black molly females because the guy somehow sold me a male dolmation lyrie tailed mollie when i wanted a female but that is also a problem theres only one female and two males do you think shell last until this weekend?

2. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

Stress coat helps make the chlorine or chormate in your tap water harmless to fish and the bacteria that is already in your tank. (Chlorine can kill the good bacteria in your tank that is helping with the nitrogen cycle). Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle at all? It could be the reason on why you are loosing so many fish. I would advise against getting shrimp until you have your tank cycled. Shrimp do not do well in uncycled tanks. They are very sensitive to water parameter changes.

Plecos are very shy fish, I get to see mine once a week at best. (I've had him less than a month, and he is in my qt tank granted). Give him more time, and he will warm up to you and the tank. You will get to be able to see him more often, maybe even more often then I see mine!

3. OP
    OP
    S

I have but i dont have an algea scrubber or anything like that,it's only been two days do you think the nitrogen levels could have weny that high to harm them, or is low levels of nitrogen fatal to them also?

I will be doing frequent water changes probably every two to three weeks...i was told that this could help the the nitrogen levels go down but i was also told to not do complete water changes due to the beneficial bacteria in the tank and gravel

I do have a decoration thats like wood and it promotes algea and from what i hear algea feeds on nitrogen.i also found a diy algea scrubber tutorial online im intrested in making it but honestly i just need help its my first tank and im still learning, thanks to you guys!

Oh and also i well definitely hold off on shrimp,and i might get another type of sucker fish to help clean the tank ,only because its an 80 gallon and hes like an inch rn but what would be a good fish or even method to removing this nitrogen ,are there any fish that do this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  4. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

The nitrogen cycle in tanks deal with a lot more than just nitrogen. Fish produce waste in the form of ammonia. Bacteria can convert this waste into nitrite, another group of bacteria converts that to nitrate.

Ammonia over .25ppm is deadly. .25ppm is not very much at all. The same goes for nitrite.

Frequent water changes means every other day. Weekly to biweekly is a must for almost all aquariums even highly established ones. Water changes help grt rid of other toxins for the fish that build up in the tank, and almost supplies more minerals and vitamins for everything in the tank. Newly starting out tanks need water changes more often. Daily to every other day. (Assuming there is fish in the tank).

5. OP
    OP
    S

Wi
    Will do ,and should i do full tank water changes or half?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice