Almost Ready to Add Fish to my 20 Gallon Tall

unitedSWD1968

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello, I have been fishless cycling my 20 gallon tall tank for over three weeks now, and I am getting close to adding fish to the tank. I know I want to add harlequin Rasbora's and some sort of gouramI to the tank. I currently have Anubias Nana and Java Fern in the tank and so far they look good. I am looking to add Java moss as well. I have a couple of quick questions:

- I am looking for a good starter fish before I add the Harlequin Rasbora and the Gourami. I was looking at a zebra danio but from what I have read in here, the highest temp water they can be in is 75 degrees and my tank is 77 degrees. What would be a good hardy schooling first fish that would get along with the Harlequin and Gourami?

- How many snails would be good for the tank, I am looking at Nerites at the moment?

- Would shrimp work in this setup, and?

- Is a moss ball good?

So initial stocking (wants) so far:

6 Harlequin Rasboras
1 dwarf size guarami

Any help would be much appreciated and Thank you in advance...ow)

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They aren't schooling fish but a few platies would work well in there, they're very hardy and easy and will get along with the other fish you have planned.

You could get away with 10 or so nerites imo (others may feel differently though) since they stay around 1" and have a low bioload.

Shrimp might work but your gouramI will likely make a nice snack out of any babies (and possibly adults).

Moss balls are always good

Vulpes

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No swordtails,they get too big for a 20 gallon tall.How many platies is up to you .I'd say less than 4 platies in there.Also try to get only one gender of the platies,you don't want to end up with hundreds of platy fry in a 20 gallon.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I started out with guppies in a fish-in cycle 6 months ago, and all 4 are still doing great. I'd recommend getting all males to prevent fry and they come in so many different color strains.

Mombo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Harlequin Rasbora's from what I understand are quite hardy and work great for starting a tank, not sure you actually need to pick another fish to start the tank out with. You could always consider a larger school of Rasboras as well instead of just 6. The schools look so cool when they are larger.

Might want to look at Pearl Gourami, Kissing Gourami, Or I believe Honey GouramI are a bit more friendly with all the little schoolers around and possibly your shrimp over a Dwarf Gourami.

Arnt Amano Shrimp a bit bigger then some of the other shrimp like Cherries? Possibly might save them from getting eaten.

New Threads