Almost Done Stocking, Looking For Expert Advice :)

1. pastrami

pastrami New Member Member

Hello There,

I am almost done stocking by using AQAdvisor and I wanted to confirm with some experts here before I add any more fish.

Tank
    ---------
    I have a 60 Gallon aquarium:  

Tank: 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H

Filters
    ---------
    1. AquaClear 70, Carbon Removed and replaced with another Bio insert.
    2. 10 Gallon Sponge Filter with built in air line

Tank Conditions
    --------------------
    The tank is fully cycled and is moderately planted (1 amazon sword, 5 big mossballs, 1 java fern, 2-3 hornwort floating, 1 hornwort tied down). It also has one large fake plant that goes all the way to the surface. I don't fertilize or add CO2.

There are two caves and a large piece of Malaysian driftwood. I am using National Geo black substrate gravel and white gravel stones around plants.

Strong current in half the tank (near the filter), medium/light current on other side from two air stones.

Water Analysis
    -------------------
    PH 7.8, Ammonia 0 PPM, Nitrite 0 PPM, Nitrate 5 PPM, Hardness 200 PPM, Heated to 75F Constant

25% weekly water change + gravel vac(electronic).

Current Stock
    -----------------
    11 Platy
    3 Guppy
    6 H. Rasbora
    6 White Cloud
    3 Dwarf Gourami (no issues with other fish or each other)
    1 Dalmatian Molly (rescue from LFS filter, didn't know species at the time)
    4 Panda Cory
    2 Amano shrimp

I have complete peace and no issue getting anyone fed.

Considering
    --------------
    2 More Rasbora
    2 More White Cloud Minnow
    2 More Panda Cory
    2 More Amano Shrimp

Reason: I'd like to see more schooling behavior from them.

According to AQAdvisor, I'm at 100% filtration capacity and my stocking level is 86% after adding those four.

2. C

ChrisX Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a good plan. I have heard the minnows are cold water fish and some people may suggest to rehome them, but I'm not an expert on that species.

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I think DG's prefer warmer water than the WCMMs do. I assume you're running a cool water tank?

Platy's, Guppies, Mollys, Rasboras, WCMMs, Panda corys, and amanos all do great in cooler water (70-75F), and we usually keep them in water too warm.

I'd add 2 more panda corys to complete shoal, if nothing else just for the 2 extra personalities in the tank!

Be prepared for the fry from the livebearers, as I'd say at least some will survive.

4. OP
    OP
    pastrami

My water temp is 75F, no fluctuations.

5. Lorekeeper

My bad! You had that in the original post.

I take back the DG comment. Upon further research, I think he'll do alright in the 75F water. As long as it stays at 75F, and doesn't get too much cooler.

Sounds like a nice tank!

6. OP
    OP
    pastrami

Thanks a lot, I will make sure to post a picture once everything is setup. I keep the ambient room temperature stable which leaves the heater with almost no work to do.

Are plants really that insignificant when it comes to filter capacity? Is it capped due to needing mechanical filtration?

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Don't trust aquadvisor, it pretty inaccurate

WCMM need water 73f or below

How about this stocking?
    8 platies
    3 Guppies
    8 Neon tetras
    8 White cloud mountain minnows
    2 Bolivian rams
    1 molly
    12 Panda Cory
    12 Amano shrimp

Or
    8 Platy
    3 Guppy
    8 H. Rasbora
    10 ember tetras or 8 rummynose tetras (which will school)
    3 Dwarf Gourami (be prepared to remove 1 or 2 if fishting starts which is quite likely)
    1 Dalmatian Molly (rescue from LFS filter, didn't know species at the time)
    10 Bronze cories or kuhli loaches
    12 Amano shrimp

Also adding more fish to a school doesn't necessarily mean they'll school more. Most schooling fish just hang out together and only school when stressed, rummynose tetras are an exception.

8. Lorekeeper

Plants are a great way to add to filtering capacity.

They soak ammonia and nitrates up, taking some of the load off of the BB filter.

9. OP
    OP
    pastrami

Thanks for the advice, I used AQA as a guide and also researched extensively on forums/reddit/etc.

I don't want to remove any of my current stock. My friend who breeds MCWs told me that 75F is perfect for them from his experience and that I would only need to drop the temp to breed them. His fish live for 8 years and longer on average. If I do get another tank, I'll probably move them and keep it at 73F since I want some other cold water fish.

Could I add another 2 cory panda and 2 amano shrimp without issue (considering I already want to add 2 rasbora and white cloud)?

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah you could definitely add more panda cories and shrimp. The cories swim in a different part of the tank to the rest of the fish so they wouldn't crowd it. The shrimp have an extremely low bioload.

11. Nauthes

Nauthes Valued Member Member

AQAdvisor isnt all bad.
    Just take it with a grain of salt, and double check everything it gives you.

I think its good to give you a general idea of your stock and you will need to fine tune it with research.