Almost Cycled

1. Swanbme Initiate Member

I have a new 60 gl tank. I've been cycling it for a week. I have an external powerd dual bio wheel. I tested everything Thursday and all was looking good except for ph. I bought some ph7 to try and help get the ph to 7 because I want to have a freshwater tropical community tank. Long story short, I went out of town Friday and came back Sunday to find that one of the bio wheels had stoped turning. Now I have a very white cloudy tank. I obviously returned the filter, but kept the two wheels that were used to cycle the tank. My question is...Now do I have to empty a percentage of the water to start the cycle process over, or can I wait to let the filter clear the cloudy water? Thanks for any suggestions...

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hey Swanbme,
    It sounds like you are experiencing a bacterial bloom which is associated with the starting of the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. This process could take from as little as 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the bio-load. The cloudy water will clear eventually. Are you using any fish to cycle? If so, make sure to perform small water changes frequently (20% daily) so the fish don't die.

Mike

3. Swanbme Initiate Member

Thanks Mike. No, I don't have any fish in the tank. I didn't want to kill any while I'm trying to learn what I'm doing. I noticed the water is a little clearer today, but now I noticed a white cottony substance at the bottom of the tank in spots. Will this also go away in time or do I need to do something?

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Are you cycling with clear ammonia? How are you cycling your tank? Also, my ph is 7.6 and I have cory cats, angels, gouramis, yo yo loaches, oscars, jack dempseys, common plecos, and buenos aires tetras. That ph adjuster can be more harmful for your fish than just letting them adjust to what comes out of your tap. Stable ph is more more inportant that adjusting it to what the fish are used to in the wild. Chances are your fish are already swimming in water at the fish store with the same ph you have at home, so they have already adjusted, or might even have been bred in a higher ph water. Adjusting ph is usually only necessary if you are breeding certain fish or your fish are wild caught specimens.