Almost All Cbs Gone, Acrid Smell From Tank

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Fahn, May 17, 2019.

1. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Sunday I had returned from a 2 week vacation visiting family out of state. While gone I gave my brother detailed instructions on feeding and care, even labeling and pre-portioning all the food for my tanks. He followed it to a T. He also topped off my tanks with distilled water while I was gone.

Before the trip, I had 7 CBS in my 2 gallon. One of them was a berried female. I had recently removed the CO2 from the tank and the shrimp seemed much happier. Also before the trip I received a piece of nano spider wood in the mail. I put it in their tank and they seemed to really enjoy grazing over it. It grew the usual white slime but I didn't think too much about it as shrimp and snails eat it.

Upon my return, I had only 3 shrimp remaining, and no sign of any shrimplets. No idea where the others are, there's no trace. My brother said he never saw a single dead shrimp. Water test that day and yesterday revealed no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates (the tank is very heavily planted with a low bioload, I used established media when setting the tank up).

This morning there was a dead CBS on the driftwood. Looks like it had been picked at a bit. TDS was higher than usual at around 151 when I try to keep it at 125-130. I did a larger water change than I usually would and was immediately hit with an acrid, acidic smell, almost like burnt plastic. The odor even permeated from the prefilter sponge when I took it out to rinse it. I'm suspecting the spider wood is the culprit...

The TDS is now around 105. I know that is a big drop but in my tanks 130 TDS is a GH of 6, and I have never lost a shrimp when lowering the TDS, only when raising it (I think it's because it mimics rainwater diluting the streams in bee shrimps' natural habitat). I have also raised the outflow so there is more surface agitation.

Please let me know how I can prevent further deaths. The plants in the tank are thriving and yesterday were even pearling without the presence of injected CO2, but despite seemingly ideal conditions my shrimp have been steadily dying one at a time.

@richie.p you've more experience with crystals than me, can you think of anything I'm doing wrong?

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Hi @Fahn sorry to hera this it terrible as I was reading your post I was leaning towards that spider wood leaching something toxic into the water, lowering your tds by water change was correct in what you say, highering fast is the culprit, I was keeping crystals at 96tds but they only stopped breeding nothing more my tanks are now 130tds
    So your not going anything wrong, if theres no improvement you could take the remaining shrimp out, take 75% of water out, I'd take it from low in the water column as I believe this is where the toxins stay, reminerilise to what you want then re-,drip the shrimp back into the tank, if there are young in there and you cant find them then they take their chance but young shrimp adapt to big water changes better than adults,

3. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Just found this little guy in the tank. I only ever had CBS, but it looks a lot like a baby king kong, don't you think?

photo_2019-05-17_17-05-07.jpg

4. Sheldon13Valued MemberMember

Just wanted to chime it to say I had something similar happen with a piece of mopani wood. It smelled like rotten eggs when I lifted the lid. I had boiled it beforehand too. Nuts.