Almost 10ys Old!

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

dumb question but this is what happens when my head is so congested I can't think straight.

I just realized that I've had my common goldy Jupiter for close to 9 years. I got him when he was about 2" long. I'm curious (and weird) but how old are commons when they are sold? He wasen't a feeder, sold as a pond Goldie. I don't think a year already so what, three months? No idea.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

How long was when you got him?
    EDIT: read the post again, he was probably 2-3 months old.

3. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I kinda figured around there.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

So he is closing in on his 20-30 year possible lifespan...

5. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

That's the nice thing about Goldfish, unlike a lot of other fish which you become attached to and then lose, they can live longer than dogs or cats if they're treated right. If yours has gone nine years I'd say he's well on his way to twenty plus if you keep his living conditions right.

6. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

That is awesome. Best of luck to you and him. Amy pics?

7. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I am being a little hypocritical, he is in a 60g tank but considering the two options he has around here I'm gonna take my chances with this set up. Goldies don't live long up here because ponds can only be set up for 6 months of the year if your lucky. One of the first fish I bought so obviously messed up his younger years, I had to winterize him in a 20g so he's stunted. He's a big healthy boy so hoping for another 10. :) I figure he's right around the 9 year old mark and 8" long.

Jupiter and Maxi.
    IMG_4421.PNG IMG_4422.PNG

8. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Gold fish never really did it for me but reading this was nice, lovely fish too thanks for sharing. He reminds me of an albino tiger oscar

9. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Beautiful fish. Just got another goldfish after 12 years of not keeping them and this time I'm not a kid and know what I'm doing!

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would say around 5-6 months. I have a few common goldfish fry in a 20 gallon. They are about 3 months and are just over an inch.

11. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Whats the plan for the fry?

12. MelloYello

MelloYello Member Member

Do you think your cat ever feels intimidated by Jupiter?

13. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They'll be going into my small pond (200 gallons) in a few weeks, right now there are some large goldfish in that pond which are being quarantined. Once the fry have grown out a bit more in the little pond they'll be moved to the 1600 gallon pond with the rest of the goldfish. There's only 4 fry in the 20 gallon.

14. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I got two them. The other day I caught my 3 year old Whiskey on the tank draining out of the tank and Jupe came up and gave him a kiss!

He's a sweet heart and has so much personality. He gets all excited when I get home from work.

Whiskey and Jupe. :)
    IMG_4423.PNG