Almond Leaves Catappa

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by lisaw007, Jul 15, 2015.

1. l

lisaw007 New Member Member

Hi all...what's the opinion in putting a couple of Catappa leaves in my freshwater tank for the beneficial elements and for natural cover in the tank?

75 gallon, freshwater, : 3 angels, 3 balloon bellies, 2 dalmation mollies, 2 boesemani rainbows, some danios, 2 catfish, mystery snails, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 2 hatchets, 2 blue german rams

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

It depends, what kind of fish do you have?

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Link of interest above.

Ken

4. octopanda

octopanda Well Known Member Member

i think that tannin's look great in a tank!

5. g

gypsy32 Valued Member Member

Hi,

I bought my first packet of almond leaves a few weeks ago after seeing them mentioned on here many times,

The instructions said either just pop them straight in the tank & they will soften & sink over time or to boil them for 10 minutes first to release some of the tannins & to make them sink straight away, so i decided to boil mine as i didn't really want my tank water turning brown.

I got the XL size leaves & it said 1 leaf per 50litres, which seemed alot of leaves as i have a 300 litre tank

Within a few days of puting (is that spelt right!) The leaves in the tank i noticed my plecos, cories, khulies & shrimp were always hanging around the leaves & sucking on them, the cories have made themseves a little cave underneath a leaf & all 7 of them squeeze under it, its pretty cute, the other fish like my angels guppies & others don't seem interested, but apparently there is some sort of natural antibiotic in the leaf & other beneficial stuff

My mystery snails seem to really like them as well they will spend hours on the one leaf

I can't say if they have benefited my fish or not but my fish are all fit & healthy so maybe they are working

I would give the leaves a try, it can't hurt, if you see benefits then buy another lot, if you don't notice anything different then at least you gave it a try, the instructions on mine say to replace every 6 weeks

I got mine online they were half the price compared to my lfs but everythings much more expensive in that shop

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    l

lisaw007 New Member Member

I put 2 in my tank..very large ones, and they over time denigrated..or were eaten..My fish loved hanging out on them..

7. S

ScottR Valued Member Member

How's it effected water color for you all? I want to lower my pH a bit, plus the effects noted above, but am not keen on the browning.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice