Allie's 29 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by AllieSten, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Well today is the day I finally got 99% of the equipment purchased and ready to get going on my first big tank. Yay!! I am upgrading from at 10 gallon to a 29 gallon tank. Purchased the tank used for $20 off if FB. It was a steal!

I have leak tested it twice over the last 3 weeks and it is definitely water tight.

Here is what has happened on day 1.

Before: [​IMG]

Someone sponge painted it. What the heck?
    [​IMG]

All taped up ready to sand down the glossy paint:
    [​IMG]

Enlisted the help of the kid to reach the bend over spots on the corners lol
    [​IMG]

First coat of paint done, just waiting on it to dry before the second and possibly third coat:
    [​IMG]

Son was quite useful today, he put together the new stand today too.
    [​IMG]

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I see a pretty big glob of silicone down on in the corner of the tank. Was it like that when you got it? Sorry, after getting a second hand tank and breaking it so easily, i'm kind of paranoid now lol.

3. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Yes it was like that when I got it. It is why I did such a long leak test. I left it full of water for 7 days then emptied. Waited a few days then refilled and left for another 7 days. No leaks at all. I should probably reseal it, but it intimidates me. Since I am having no issues, I am choosing to just leave it alone. Do you think I should investigate it further?

4. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Here is a picture this morning with the paint all finished up. There are a couple touch ups needed, but honestly I am just going to take a sharpie and fill them in. I only got paint inside the tank in one small spot in the corner. Not too shabby. It scraped right off with my fingernail. Today's task will be scrubbing the tank inside and out with vinegar water. Need to be sure there isn't and paint residue or any of that dust from sanding left over inside the tank. Plus it hasn't been really scrubbed good since I got it. Wouldn't want to put my healthy fish into an used dirty tank.

[​IMG]

My new filter arrives on Tuesday, so I am wanting everything ready by then to just pop the filter in and go. I have seeded media ready to go into the new tank, so it should cycle pretty much instantly. The only thing I need to purchase is my substrate. My Tractor Supply store was out of blasting sand. So I will be picking that up on Tuesday also. (Unless I can convince hubby to pick it up for me today or Monday lol)

Here is the filter I will be using. Is it weird that I am excited about how cool this filter is? Here is the YouTube video that convinced me to spend the extra $20 on it also.

Amazon.com : Seachem Laboratories 6500 55 gallon/208 L/120V/60 Hz Tidal Filter : Pet Supplies

My plan is to set up the 29 gallon, move the fish from the 10g into the 29 gallon. Then move the betta into the 10 gallon. I am going to divide the 10 gallon before I add him, so he doesn't get too angry when I split the tank in half for his new friend. Then I will be using the 5 gallon as my quarantine tank for my new fish. I have all sorts of extra media in my filters now, so I can be sure to share amongst my tanks. It actually was a good thing that my cycle crashed a couple weeks ago. That way all the new media is fully cycled at this point, and I saved myself a couple of extra weeks in seeding the media. I also picked up a cheap back up filter motor too. That way I can have a backup one running in the 29 gallon. Just in case.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. APierce

If you did that long of a leak test, I'd just leave it alone :)

6. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Well I moved everything around today, and then my TV broke. So hubby is off buying us a new one. He has to move the tank, it is too heavy for me to lift. But it is all clean and ready to come in from the garage at least. My dining room however is a giant disaster.

Here is the before:
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and the empty TV stand lol

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Tank made it inside and TV arrived :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. APierce

Looks like you had your work cut out for you today! Looks good.

9. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I hated how I had it. So I got rid of my 1995 Honey Oak, particle board, china hutch. It was literally falling apart. We have a free garbage dump coupon for next weekend, so it was perfect timing. Definitely like this much better. I made dinner tonight too. So has been a busy one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Looking good (talking about both the tank + stand as well as your dinner :p)

11. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

So yesterday's med infusion took 6 hours instead of 4, plus the drive it was a 10 hour day. I was able to get the BDBS, but didn't get to rinsing. It is on my list first thing this morning. Well I guess second thing since it is too early, and I don't want to wake up the entire house. I did set up my new filter though. I will be moving my Tetra 20i that has cycled media already in it over to the 29 gallon (from the 10g) as a back up filter in addition to the Tidal 55g Power Filter. So I don't need to actually add the cycled media to it. Although I will share some filter floss and some rings once I get the tank mostly filled with water. (And the heater going) Closer to the time I am going to move the fish over.

Here is how I have it set up. Crushed coral (low dkh), ceramic rings, filter floss, sponge. I also added a prefilter sponge to the intake for some added surface area.

This filter has a fancy hook that you can clip your heater directly to the side. This allows for the water outflow to be heated consistently since it is so close to the output. So I added the heater too. Plus the digital thermometer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

We have water! Yay! I guess I rinsed the sand pretty well because the tank isn't too cloudy at all. I am waiting on the water to heat up before I add the other filter. It is at 67.4 degrees, up from 56. It has to get up to at least 70 or 72 before I want to move the filter and 75 before I even think about adding the fish. I of course dosed with Prime and will add Stability once I get the media moved around. I cannot believe I actually have this tank at the final stages. It has taken 2 months of collecting supplies, and now it's almost done! Yay!

765feba2866e3a57336ed9da017a2a16.jpg 4e290cf31a616950cc633e427ac8ddae.jpg
    73d4e62724089552a58eafd52d06d56d.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I added a bubbler/airstone. I didn't need to have a particular size right? I mean it makes tons of bubbles, plus with the 2 filters going at once the surface is being agitated quite a bit. @el337 @BeanFish @TexasDomer

Still waiting on the temp to get to 75, should be there soon though. Probably another hour. Moved the 10g filter over about an hour ago now, when it hit 72.

Picture of the bubbler from the top of the tank. I may even turn it down some. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

14. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

JEALOUS. Lol. Specially of that Tidal filter.
    The tank looks cool, even tho I am not a fan of fake plants yours look good, you combined the colors well and the sand contrasts very well with everything.
    Why did you add the airstone? I like the look of bubbles but I stopped using airstones a long time ago in my main tanks, I only use them when I raise my temps but that is not often. If you added them for oxygenation purposes I dont think its necessary, specially with that Tidal.
    If you dont like the airstone you dont need it.
    What are you gonna stock the tank with?

15. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I added the airstone to oxygenate the water, but if I don't need it, then I will pull it out of there. I had them on my small tanks, but I know the smaller filters don't agitate the surface well enough. I had a small one in the 10g, and an even smaller one in the 5g.

I am totally loving the Tidal filter. Definitely worth the extra money. It is soooo quiet.

I have 5-glo tetras and a DG currently that are going into the tank. So I am going to add

3-black skirt tetras
    2-Bolivian Rams
    8-Harlequin Rasboras
    8-False Julii Corydoras
    3-4 Snails (either mystery or nerites)

Thanks! I am glad you like it. I have a feeling that I will be adding live plants at some point. I am not satisfied with how the right side looks, so I will be figuring out something else. I try to keep the colors pretty simple really. Makes the fish more prominent. I will be doing a background too, but can't decide what I want yet lol

16. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

The fish are in! The piglet that my darling Otto is, within 10 minutes he was begging for food lol

17. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

It looks great! You need a few more of the blue glo tetras, just cuz they're my favorite color . And love your DG! I got my new fish today too!

18. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

The blue ones have been hard for me to find, so I got him the second I saw him, back in October. His name is Rex lol I want to get away from the Glo-Fish altogether so I am going to switch to black skirts when I add more. That way I can phase them out. I think I will always have a Dwarf Gourami though. He is my absolute favorite. Even over our betta, Finnley. I could watch him all day. Soooo much personality.

Well they must all like their new home. They all were begging for food. I fed them very early this morning (4am) so it was definitely time for their dinner. (It's 3:30pm now) They gobbled it all up. Nothing left that I could see anywhere.

I am in the process of emptying the 10 gallon they were in, and I am going to put Finnley into that one. Then stomp the 5 gallon piece of acrylic garbage to bits lol (not really, but I hate that tank) That won't be completed until tomorrow. My back is killing me so I think I need to lay down for a couple of hours.

19. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks nice! I would probably add some taller plants or floating plants for the DG. :)

20. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

That is in my plans for sure. He looks lost up there. I only had 1 tall silk plant and I hated the way it looked. So I just left it out. I am definitely wanting floating plants too. Might start with those as my first live plants actually ..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice