All Things Bristlenose Plecos!

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Jessielee83, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jessielee83

Jessielee83Valued MemberMember

I have wigglers! So i am newish to bn's. Ive tried keep plecos before but i think they were commons and they have always died on me. Ive decided to try my hand at bn and see how that goes. Ive made a few orders online for first time ever! I was so nervouse about having them shipped. But all turned out good. First off i got a few 1"ers 2 reds 2 lemon blue eyes and 2 longin calico. The reds are doing good but i lost the others. No ryme or reason. Though they did look bloated towards the end. They were eating wafers i fed beans peas zucc and cuc. So any input on that would be great. And also from a different place got a breeding pair of albinos. This was about 3 weeks ago and they have already mated and now i have wigglers!! So a few questions there. First how do i make sure they survive. Second at what age or size do they start showing colors and will they be all albino or what other colors should i expect. Thanks!!

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

They eat the same things as the adults fortunately. As far as colors, you should expect a mix of both standard and albino. I kinda thought as soon as they were free swimming they would be the same color as the adults about so you might actually have a full clutch of albino.

3. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ya as of right now they started hatching 2 days ago. I had them in with dad in cave in tanks where they bred. But she went back in with him couple days ago and dislodge some so i removed those eggs then i kept seeing a few getting knocked out so i just moved him cave and babies in all to a bare bottom and seeing them hatch. So still few more days until free swimming. So hopefully ill know soon. Im so excited they are cute!

Right now they are just a yolk sack and see through little guys. So hard to say

20190713_195833.jpg

Thanks to whoever moved my thread. Ill make sure i check out the pleco forum since thats where all the info should be

Also is it possible for fry to be twins? I ask because i saw one wiggler that escaped dad and it looked like it had 2 yolk sacks. The main one and one on the side of that one. Or is it that its deformed or was attached to another baby and that one died?

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

It may have become damaged when mom came back in the cave (or was born deformed) with a split yolk sack (or a section/divider that made it look like two yolk sacks). Normally you would be able to see the eyes of any color but albino when they are hatched/growing, albino will have eyes the same color as the body and the pupil will be red after they consume the rest of the yolk sack.

5. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ic. I was looking at it while on wall of tank. So straight on and it deff had its own sac and then another one stuck to that one. It was just weird to see. I cant find that one again at least 10 have escaped dad and i have 4 in a breeder in tank that i hatched when they got dislodge from cave. Ya i dont see any eyes. Just bodies and sacks so sounds like albinos? I didnt know that eyes made a diff at first hatch so i learned something new lol thanks alot!

6. Mcasella

You should be able to see the eyes once they absorb the yolk sack, i have some that are 7 days from hatch (maybe 8) and i can see their little red eyes even though they are around 1/2". Sometimes you get some weird ones, i've had an albino before that had a yolk sack that wasn't properly connected so it couldn't absorb it, it took about five days for its body to create a new route to the yolk sack and absorb it, but it was eating while the yolk sack was there along with its regular siblings. I'm pretty sure that one is still alive but they are hard to tell apart since they are similar.

7. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

I just looked a little closer and i do see some eyes. Just very hard so not sure if red or darker yet lol. Mine are i think 4 days post hatch. I would say a day or 2 maybe yolk will be gone. They dont usually need to be fed until they are actually swimming around after they are done with yolk right? I have 2 neo shrimp in with them so there is some food here and there just in case but wasnt planning on them eating yet

8. Mcasella

They will not eat until likely 24 hours after absorbing the yolk sack, offer food at that point (same things mom and dad are eating) and they should take interest.

9. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ok that sounds like a plan. Thanks so much! How long have you been breeding bn? Do you get quit a few deaths? Im having issues right now with some juevies i ordered online and drove to go get. My 1 lemon blue eye was doing fine. Found it dead this afternoon. Ive bought like 15 in last couple weeks and now have 7 left. They all were about 1 to 2 inches. The adult breeding pair are doing great. Is it just easier to keep the older ones?

10. Mcasella

The older ones seem to handle general tank issues better, my longest had bn is 3 years in my care and around 4-4.5 years old (right now i am low on females and every single one i've ordered have been males). You normally see around 10-20% loss over time, even with the cleanest of water and food, they just don't all survive. I would see about deworming the parent fish to make sure they are good - what all are you feeding the bns you have?

11. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Thanks. They get waffers, zucchini, cucumber ,french green beans, and was doing peas when they started getting bloat and dying. Although i dont think they really like anything but the waffers. Even when i put waffers stuck in the veggies they only dig in to get the waffer lol. Daisy the mom does that. She such a pig sometimes

12. Mcasella

I'd add something like crab cuisine or repashy to their diet to get them used to more foods. Some take a while to decide veggies are food, which makes it more important to offer everything to the babies as soon as they are eating to give them a grasp of "yes, this is food" when offered veggies.

13. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

I was thinking of checking into that. And ya my plan was to start them on it from get go. I just assumed these places would feed tgese guys all this stuff as well

14. Mcasella

Feed them the easiest and cheapest food is what most chain and mom/pop stores will do (assuming they don't have people that think the plecos will survive off just algae), least effort will be algae wafers, veggies are more effort and sometimes cost per meal.

15. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Thats makes sence. I just thought i was getting them from a good place. I guess it could be my fault but everything is being done on my end. Makes me mad seeing how much i spend on them plus the shipping for live fish. And even then i dont get from lfs i have to drive over hr to a private place and all his semms to fie too. I have 2 lemon blue eyes coming tomorrow from a diff place so hopefully they make it. Otherwise im just going to have to get adults and hope they are stronger like my breeding pair.

16. DixieFish

DixieFishValued MemberMember

Found ya! Lol.

You mentioned having hard well water in your welcome thread. To the experienced BN keepers watching this: would that makes difference in Jessielee83's survival rate?

Personally, I'm surprised about hearing of the loss of a common pleco. I kept one for 10 years and the crazy thing survived two tank wipe outs before succumbing to an accidental poisoning from an expired bottle of dechlorinator. Hardiest fish I ever had.

Hmm.... Do you think drip acclimating the newcomers might help? Extra quarantining? I'd really like to see you have success with your new longfins! It can be SO frustrating losing fish!

17. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Yay found me i never could keep commons. Im prob the only one that could kill them unintentionally. I acclimate them like i always have and how suggested from sellers. They are fine for couple weeks then they get hit with ick. Everytime! This time i used the salt and heat and they came through just fine. Like i said in otger post for all who are watching most of them look like they are bloated before i dind them dead. My adults are doing great no signa of any probs so i have no clue. Im keeping fingures crossed and i will get this figured out.

18. DixieFish

I hope you do figure it out. Of course it could be one of those deals where you have to put up with the losses until you get the fish that work for you. Kinda like my first batch of guppies. In fact I had asked my lfs just today about how she gets all her plecos to survive and she said, "I dont know. I put them in the tank, give them all a slice of cucumber and the crazy things do well for me."

Oh, and while I was there....

20190719_172950~2.jpg

I BOUGHT HIM!!!! *ahem* Yup! Broke down and took home that cute little blue-eyed lemon boy I have been eyeballing for two months! Yay!

He's doing okay so far. He'll be better when I get a couple more caves in there.

19. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ya me too. I just think its easier on the older guys to be shipped. Less stressful so im gonna save my peenies for adults lol. Awe congrats!! He is beautiful. I want !!! Goodluck with him. When you said they had some i thought you meant younger ones

20. DixieFish

Thanks!
    My lsf has constant variety of plecos going in and out plus two active breeding pairs. Right now they are growing out baby browns and albinos, but they have an adult calico male that is my next target fish from them, lol. It'll be awhile, but they are trying to breed for blue eyed longfins. I can't wait!

The LFS won't sell the little ones until they are at least 2". Probably because of their sensitivity. So far my little guy is doing okay even though my old filter broke and now the tank is mini-cycling with a new HOB. (Daily water changes again, yay...)

Today I'm finding out if he will eat something other than cucumber...