Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

All Pond Solutions Hob-500 Canister Filter. Yay/nay? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Sokonomi, Mar 2, 2019.

1. SokonomiValued MemberMember

A friend of mine came across this interesting little unit;

Easy access media trays, comes with a few output options like a nozzle and a spraybar, its got flow control as well.
    It appears to be an OEM filter made by a company named Sunsun.
    The price is astounding, its usually about 26usd/22gbp/23eur

From what we can see, it seems like a pretty nice canister unit.
    What is the verdict on this thing among the people here on fishlore?
    Has anyone here tried this questionably cheap unit before?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
  2. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Unfortunately that model is not available on the States.

I saw Richard's review on it the other week, and it appears to be a very interesting setup.

I know a lot of the pond and aqaurium external canisters, pumps and UV clarifiers from All Pond Solutions are re-branded SunSuns, but I'm not sure about this unit.

From what I recall, Pondguru was surprised with it and liked it the filter after he added the usual suspects to it.

If it was available here, I would try it out for that price

3. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a nice filter. Only issue that may come into play is maintenance on it if it is on the back of a tank. Pretty big to lift over and may be awkward to remove. I know that this would not work on my 75 gallon as the top of the tank is almost at 5 feet.

4. SokonomiValued MemberMember

Thats the main reason I kinda backed away from a 33G tank.
    Large tanks are nice, but my arms would be too short. :')

These, or the slightly smaller LBL-802 should work well on my 20G.
    But the price is so low I am kinda questioning their reliability a bit.

5. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Don't know where you are located, but try Amazon. You only need about 160-200 gph for a 20 gallon tank.

6. SokonomiValued MemberMember

Sorry, Updated my profile so it says where im from. ;)

The little LBL-802 outputs 500L / 132G per hour.
    Thats not gonna cut it?

7. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

That filter packs a lot of room for media.

It would depend on how the tank was stocked.

You could always buy a sponge filter to tuck in the corner of the tank to add extra biological filtration, if after you set everything up, you feel the APS 500 wasn't cutting it.

8. SokonomiValued MemberMember

I was planning on putting one of those 'microphone sock' things on the intake to make sure little fish and shrimp wont get stuck on it.
    Shrimp apparently love picking the sucked up food particulates off the roam as well, so thats pretty efficient. ;)

The stores list the filter as capable of running a 150L tanks, but they always bloat their capacity a bit.
    My tank is going to be only about 70L, plus its gonna be planted, so it should be ok?
    Stock is gonna be 8 x kuhli's, 8 x Rasboras, 10 x shrimp, and 1 or 2 centerpiece fish.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Being planted always helps.

But no way of knowing anything for certain until you have everything up and running.

Kuhli's have a small bioload.

Just monitor your parameters.

If you are not able to keep zero ammonia and zero nitrites, then you may need more filtration.

10. SokonomiValued MemberMember

Theres no way of knowing this filter is any good, hence why I made this thread. :happy:
    I was hoping some of you might have jumped on this seemingly common and cheap filter to tell me all about it.

I just need something I can tuck behind my tank that's no fatter than 10cm. :D
    So for me its either this thing, or save up for a seachem tidal 55 or something.

11. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

For such a slim design, it really uses the space very efficiently.

It honestly appears to hold a lot of volume of media in all of the trays.

If you have a lot of decent media the water is flowing over, you dont need a ton of flow.

I dont recall wjat that filter comes with to fill the trays.

I'm not a betting man, but I would wager that adding a couple of layers of good quality sponge and a layer or 2 of some fine filter floss, would make that filter hard to beat.

There probably wont be anyone here on the forum that has used it, being mainly a Euro sourced product unfortunately.

Like I said, I saw Richard's YouTube review of it the other week and he seemed impressed. That is good enough for me.

I would buy it if it was available here in the states!

12. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Seachem Tidal 55 would be perfect.

SEACHEM SICCE TIDAL HANG-ON POWER FILTERS 55 75 110 SELF PRIMING FISH TANK | eBay

13. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

According to the OP, the APS-500 goes for 22 quid, or 26 USD.

That Tidal on Ebay is 50 quid + another 20 for s&h! That's almost 90 USD!

You would think the Tidals (made by Sicce in Italy) would be cheaper.

14. SokonomiValued MemberMember

Thats about as cheap as I can get them, unfortunately.
    Europe isn't very big on locally retailing "Fill it yourself" type internal/HOB filters,
    its mostly cassettes so they can nickle and dime you to death.

Its probably best if I just chug on with the stock Juwel Bioflow filter first,
    and then slowboat one of those cheap filters in and have a look myself.
    500L/h pull through should be enough; Richard even mentioned dialing it down in his video.

The only issue I take with the tidal 55, is the circulation.
    If its on the back of the tank, the water would only go up and forward in one area.
    Is that going to keep everything clean, or am I gonna have stagnant zones?

15. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Which such a small tank, not going to be an issue. I have a Tidal 55 and 75.