All Platy Tank (idea/questions) *updated*

1. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Alright, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have 11 platys in my 20 gal long. I want at least two highfin platys, but what other kind of platys do you guys think I should put into the tank. Also, should I get the Aqueon QuietFlow 20, or should I get the Aqueon QuietFlow 30?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Aqadvisor isn't really accurate. I would also only put 10 platies in a 20 gallon max, since 16 would be very crowded. You will also need a larger filter than a quiet flow 20, as that won't be enough for platies, which have high bioloads.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That is way overstocked. Swordtails need a bigger tank. I would do 8 platies maximum.

4. M

Michael100 New Member Member

Its also worth noting that swordtails are a seperate species to platies.

5. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Swordtails can hybridize with Platies too.

6. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I would pick all different colours. Make sure you have significantly more females than males, as the males can get jerky without ample female companionship (1:3 ratio). :) I had 8 with different colours - 1 blue wag, 1 blue with orange fins, 1 sunset wag, 1 red wag, 1 blue coral, 1 gold bar, 1 gold, and one repeat. Those are basically all the colours local to me.

Edit: if you don't want babies choose one sex only. The females will likely be pregnant.

7. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Do nothing more than 6 platies. With no other fish they will breed a lot.

8. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

I think you mean more females than males.

9. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Yes!!! Sorry, I'll edit that!

10. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Yay, platies!

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with BottomDweller's advice.

12. OP
    OP
    Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Okay, Im probably gonna get about 11 platys. Which ones should I get? Pineapple platys, highfin platys, micky mouse platys? Name some I should get. Also, should I get the Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 or 30 for the 20g long?

Alright, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have 11 platys in my 20 gal long. I want at least two highfin platys, but what other kind of platys do you guys think I should put into the tank. Also, should I get the Aqueon QuietFlow 20, or should I get the Aqueon QuietFlow 30?

13. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place, please only create one thread per topic