All Platy Tank (idea/questions) *updated*

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Adam Alston, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Adam Alston

Adam AlstonNew MemberMember

Alright, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have 11 platys in my 20 gal long. I want at least two highfin platys, but what other kind of platys do you guys think I should put into the tank. Also, should I get the Aqueon   20, or should I get the Aqueon QuietFlow 30?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Aqadvisor isn't really accurate. I would also only put 10 platies in a 20 gallon max, since 16 would be very crowded. You will also need a larger filter than a quiet flow 20, as that won't be enough for platies, which have high bioloads.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

That is way overstocked. Swordtails need a bigger tank. I would do 8 platies maximum.

4. Michael100New MemberMember

Its also worth noting that swordtails are a seperate species to platies.

5. BettaPonic

BettaPonicWell Known MemberMember

Swordtails can hybridize with Platies too.

6. Celestialgirl

CelestialgirlWell Known MemberMember

I would pick all different colours. Make sure you have significantly more females than males, as the males can get jerky without ample female companionship (1:3 ratio). :) I had 8 with different colours - 1 blue wag, 1 blue with orange fins, 1 sunset wag, 1 red wag, 1 blue coral, 1 gold bar, 1 gold, and one repeat. Those are basically all the colours local to me.

Edit: if you don't want babies choose one sex only. The females will likely be pregnant.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  7. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

Do nothing more than 6 platies. With no other fish they will breed a lot.

8. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

I think you mean more females than males.

9. Celestialgirl

CelestialgirlWell Known MemberMember

Yes!!! Sorry, I'll edit that!

10. Donnerjay

DonnerjayWell Known MemberMember

Yay, platies!

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I agree with BottomDweller's advice.

12. OP
    OP
    Adam Alston

Adam AlstonNew MemberMember

Okay, Im probably gonna get about 11 platys. Which ones should I get? Pineapple platys, highfin platys, micky mouse platys? Name some I should get. Also, should I get the Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 or 30 for the 20g long?

Alright, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have 11 platys in my 20 gal long. I want at least two highfin platys, but what other kind of platys do you guys think I should put into the tank. Also, should I get the Aqueon QuietFlow 20, or should I get the Aqueon QuietFlow 30?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  13. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place, please only create one thread per topic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice