All plants doing good except this one, any ideas?

toeknee

Member
Hello all. Everything is going along fine in my 55 gallon except my Cardamine always has pin holes in it. In both new and old growth but mostly old. It grows like crazy but has always had this issue for as long as I've had it. The tank is CO2 injected, lighting is 2 Beamswork DA FSPEC LED's. PAR should be somewhere around 80 something. Highly considering upgrading lighting. Fert is NilocG Thrive+ 3 times weekly and NilocG root tabs replaced every 4 is months. I do have some Ramshorn snails in there as well. A few pics..... any ideas on the potential issue?
1.jpg3.jpg2.jpg4.jpg
 

mimo91088

Member
Maybe the plant needs more potassium than your other species? I think pinholes are usually a sign of potassium deficiency.
 

Dennis57

Member
What you are describing sounds like a potassium issue along with possibly another macronutrient issue (phosphate or nitrate).

A nitrate tar can usually rule out the later, but phosphate and potassium are much less common test kits. Does the supplement you're using contain macronutrients, potassium especially?
 
  • Thread Starter

toeknee

Member
Here is their fert breakdown copy and pasted from their website if this helps.

Total Nitrogen(N) 3.09%
3.09% Water Soluble Nitrogen(N)
Available Phosphate(P2O5) 1.58%
Soluble Potash(K2O) 10.4%
Magnesium(Mg) 0.32%
0.32% Water Soluble Magnesium(Mg)
Calcium(Ca) 0.03%
Sulphur (S) 0.76%
0.76% Combined Sulfur(S)
Boron(B) 0.008%
Copper(Cu) 0.0002%
0.0002% Water Soluble Copper(Cu)
Iron(Fe) 0.65%
0.65% Water Soluble Iron(Fe)
Manganese(Mn) 0.168%
0.168% Water Soluble Manganese(Mn)
Molybdenum(Mo) 0.0006%
Zinc(Zn) 0.0038%
0.0038% Water Soluble Zinc(Zn)
Derived From: Potassium Nitrate, Carbamide, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, DTPA Iron, EDTA Iron, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate.
 

TClare

Member
I don't know about the plant issue, but its a beautiful tank!
 

mimo91088

Member
toeknee said:
Here is their fert breakdown copy and pasted from their website if this helps.

Total Nitrogen(N) 3.09%
3.09% Water Soluble Nitrogen(N)
Available Phosphate(P2O5) 1.58%
Soluble Potash(K2O) 10.4%
Magnesium(Mg) 0.32%
0.32% Water Soluble Magnesium(Mg)
Calcium(Ca) 0.03%
Sulphur (S) 0.76%
0.76% Combined Sulfur(S)
Boron(B) 0.008%
Copper(Cu) 0.0002%
0.0002% Water Soluble Copper(Cu)
Iron(Fe) 0.65%
0.65% Water Soluble Iron(Fe)
Manganese(Mn) 0.168%
0.168% Water Soluble Manganese(Mn)
Molybdenum(Mo) 0.0006%
Zinc(Zn) 0.0038%
0.0038% Water Soluble Zinc(Zn)
Derived From: Potassium Nitrate, Carbamide, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, DTPA Iron, EDTA Iron, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate.
I mean that fert does look good and makes me less suspicious of potassium deficiency. But it couldn't hurt to pick up a test kit and see where it's at. Who knows, maybe one of your plants is consuming it in massive quantities or something and you need to have even more. Looks good on paper but you never know if you don't test.
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
I still think its potassium deficiency.

Potassium Deficiency
This condition is easy to diagnose because the plant’s leaves will develop distinctive pinholes that are sometimes rimmed with brown or yellow. Certain plants like java fern and anubias thrive in environments with more potassium, so watch out for those signs. You can buy a potassium-specific supplement. Therefore, treatment can be a simple matter of just dosing more potassium.
 

mimo91088

Member
bettaandcorylover said:
I still think its potassium deficiency.

Potassium Deficiency
This condition is easy to diagnose because the plant’s leaves will develop distinctive pinholes that are sometimes rimmed with brown or yellow. Certain plants like java fern and anubias thrive in environments with more potassium, so watch out for those signs. You can buy a potassium-specific supplement. Therefore, treatment can be a simple matter of just dosing more potassium.
I agree, I'm on mobile and didn't see the yellowing smaller holes until I zoomed in on the pic. I'd only seen the largest holes. I'm on board now, it's potassium in all likelihood.
 
  • Thread Starter

toeknee

Member
Thanks everyone, since I only have your standard test kits I'll just go ahead and pick up a Potassium fert and give that a go. I'll go back to the drawing board if I don't see improvements after a month or so. Thanks again!
 

mimo91088

Member
toeknee said:
Thanks everyone, since I only have your standard test kits I'll just go ahead and pick up a Potassium fert and give that a go. I'll go back to the drawing board if I don't see improvements after a month or so. Thanks again!
Good luck! You should be able to recover the plant. Doesn't look like it's past the point of no return.
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
toeknee said:
Thanks everyone, since I only have your standard test kits I'll just go ahead and pick up a Potassium fert and give that a go. I'll go back to the drawing board if I don't see improvements after a month or so. Thanks again!
Your welcome!
 
Top Bottom