All Of My Ghost Shrimp Died

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Freshwateramateur, Apr 15, 2019.

1. FreshwateramateurValued MemberMember

Hello everyone, i have pretty limited experience with shrimp but i have had a planted 10 gallon stocked with 8 ghost shrimp and 3 red cherry shrimp. The tank has been going for months with few issues but in the past few days my ghost shrimp population was decimated. I have no idea what the cause is as water parameters are good and my cherries are active and thriving. Any ideas if it could be a species only disease that has killed off my ghost shrimp or any ideas for what i can do to protect the remaining cherries? Any advice helps thanks

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

At this point with no photos of the dead in the tank it would be hard to advise, a picture of your cherries may hold the answer if it's a disease that hasn't killed them off yet, you say the perameters were ok what were they as that may also help

3. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

Ghost shrimp commonly end up with muscular necrosis. Did their bodies look white? More details would definitely be helpful.

4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

If it is I would think the cherries will have it by now hopefully a photo will give it away

5. FreshwateramateurValued MemberMember

I had to dispose of the dead ones but their flesh was pink and they were no longer transparent. Their exoskeleton also appeared white. There was no mold growing on any dead even some that had died overnight and weren't removed until the following afternoon DSCF2881.JPG Here is a good picture i got of one of the cherries. Its next to one of their molts.
    Water Parameters:
    nitrates: 20ppm
    nitrites 0
    gh 150ppm
    kh 80
    ph 7.5

6. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

First take that moult out incase its carrying disase

7. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Theres no visible signs I can see but if the shrimp were going white inside then @ETNsilverstar silverstar would be right but until theres signs on the cherries theres not a lot you can do, your water 7 are fine

8. FreshwateramateurValued MemberMember

There were some individuals with white bodies but not all of the ones that died seemed to be white

9. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

It is a hard one to call at the moment, how long were they in the tank and did you acclimatise them properly

10. FreshwateramateurValued MemberMember

I have had the ghosts since January and this is the first time I have had problems with them. I got the cherries in mid march

11. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Ok so they've been In a while before they died, keep a close eye on the and post the first sign of trouble, I honestly can't advise on treatment especially as therest nothing visible to treat, if it was ammonia the others would be dead but it's worth checking

12. FreshwateramateurValued MemberMember

Found the very last one dead today. Here is a picture. Water parameters are still the same. Ammonia is in the safe range. No change in any of the cherries. IMG_20190416_154536901.jpg

13. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

sorry to hear about the ghost shrimps. Ghost shrimps are mostly sold as feeder so they are bred and kept in terrible condition and usually dont last long because they arent the best quality.

when you say ammonia is in the safe range what do you mean? any little bit of ammonia is dangerous, only safe range is 0. Shrimps especially are very sensitive to ammonia

14. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

Based on the picture, it looks like it might be muscular necrosis. Get it out asap (if you haven't already) and try to get a good look at it to see if it's just the shell that seems white or if it's the body. I had to pull out a ghost last night that was getting cloudy, but it's worth it if it keeps the others safe. Just keep an eye out for any signs in the other shrimp and pull them out asap if they look cloudy. I have 3 in QT now due to the cloudiness.

15. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

You also need to do some daily water changes as it's been found this helps also a good air, stone as lack of oxygen is another suspect, stress brought on by ph swings should also be looked at, from the photo I agree with @ETNsilverstar it looks like muscular necrosis, another sign to look for in live shrimp is it starts in the tail and moves forward through the body as the infection spreads

16. FreshwateramateurValued MemberMember

I see. However, there are no more ghost shrimp left and all 3 cherries are very red, how would I be able to tell if they are turning white inside, I have a sponge filter in the tank currently and I will start frequent water changes
    How long should I keep those up?

17. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

If they all dead leave off on the water change at the moment as that can cause issues with the cherries so hang fire, if the cherries are infected you will start to see the shell change colour starting from the tail, the ones in the photos look fine, jury still out on this one and @Guanchy made a valid point about the conditions they keep them in, so if you see any change post the picture asap I'm sure @ETNsilverstar or myself will pick up on it or maybe one of the other shrimpers and confirm or not then start with water changes