All of a sudden scared of me??

happyfins14

HI guys,

I have been the proud owner of two bunnies since June 4, 2015, so I'm still relatively new to bunny keeping. My male, Beethoven, instantly took to my female, Eliza, so bonding was as easy as could be. Right now they live in a 5 by 8 foot "rabbitat" outside. Soon they'll be getting a new one, with a second level

Okay, let me give you a quick overview of what's in there: two wooden boxes with one open end for hiding and sleeping, three small fleece blankets, a towel, a 32 oz water bottle, two small litter boxes side by side, a hay feeder above the litter boxes, and a large ceramic food bowl.

The problem is this: Eliza has been acting strangely lately. Normally she acts normal around me: kind of hops around my feet, but isn't particularly brave. Is fine with petting and picking up, even though I don't pick them up often at all. But lately she's been skittering into the boxes and thumping when she sees me. I have never hurt her, and have examined her thoroughly for wounds or illnesses. Her coat is glossy, she's eating normally, she poops normally, and she loves Beethoven just as she always has.

She is six years old. I rescued her from a shelter, but it was a good shelter and she was well provided for. I don't know how long she has been spayed, but it has been at least a year. Beethoven has been neutered for two months, if that's relevant.

I just don't like her being so scared of me. I've been taking it slow; when she comes out of the box I let her sniff for a good long while, then stroke her a couple times. Normally she freezes and lowers her head, flattening herself against the ground. That's when I stop, and then she skitters away. I brush her every couple days, since they are both shedding. I don't know if the brush is terrorizing her. The soft bristles don''t hurt them, as Beethoven has no problem with it.

And she plays with toys and uses the litter box perfectly and eats tons of hay, too.

I would appreciate any help, ideas, or suggestions. Thanks guys!

MJDuti

Hmm, how long has this been going on for? Our rabbit lives indoors but every once in a blue moon gets really spooked by something, hides behind the couch, and doesn't want us to help. On top of thumping ours grunts sometimes too. But this typically never lasts more than a night

happyfins14

She's been acting skittery for about two weeks now

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • FishFor2018
  • Rabbit
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
  • FishGirl115
  • Rabbit