All my swordtails are hiding???

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by Tropical Aquatics, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Tropical Aquatics

Tropical Aquatics Valued Member Member

Alright, so I recently went to my LFS to see how amazing the swordtails looked, their large size and color. I bought six, being the stocking for my next two weeks. This is a new 60 gallon tank, which was cycled with TTS+ CORRECTLY, but the swordtails started acting weird after two days. I got two males and four females, and all of them hide under this rock-like cave? Its kinda smal, and in the back of the tank but they all hide, along with the plants behind. They dont look to pregnant, as their gravid spot isnt HUGE and sticking out, its kinda faintly, black... Anyways, I will post photos later but is their anything I should worry about them ALL hiding in this small cave? Would like to say a few more things... They kinda moved the sand so they can all fit under the rock, as you can see the sand kinda slope downward, and its not a preditory issue as they are the biggest fish, and the other fish are a few baby mollies and some cories. Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

We can't rule out a problem with your water, even though you've cycled the tank. If you can provide some parameters, we can at least rule out ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning isn't the problem.

In fact, if you could provide pH and gH, that'd be great as well. Swordtails and other livebearers prefer harder water with a pH of around 7.5 or so. Soft, acidic water, combined with a new environment, may be stressing the fish out.

Finally, do you have anything in your house that could frighten your fish? I'm talking about loud doors, lots of foot traffic, bright, flashy lights? Maybe even a mischievous cat? When you're not around, something may be stressing your swordtails out to the point where they all want to hide, but not so much as to spook your preexisting fish.

With my own swordtails, I've found them to be particularly skittish. Even after months in my tank, they still dart to the back of the tank if I approach too suddenly.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    Tropical Aquatics

Tropical Aquatics Valued Member Member

I will update in a bit, but I can say my tap water is hard, with a PH of 8.2...
    Would be a delight if it was lower, but back to the topic. I dont think anything is frightening the fish. Yes, they are in the main/front hall but they just started acting like this and were actually out and about, earlier when our family was watching the tank. No one is down in the area where the tank is, nor are the outside lights. Unless they dont like my LED lights, they came with our starter kit. I cant give GH sadly but, if any other details are needed let me know. I have a feeling they MAY be giving birth, but not too sure.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Your pH is fine, it's definitely not what's causing this as swordtails need a higher pH/harder water.

5. cougars16

cougars16 Valued Member Member

Can you post a picture of the setup.

Sometime you need to put lots of hiding spots so that they feel safe. This is what i do in my aquarium.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2016
  6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

This post is from July. I doubt the OP will respond.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice