All my neocardinia shrimp died in fairly new tank

Jdoherty12

All shrimp in newer tank died. Advice needed!
10 total shrimp all neos. Was a mixed pack of babies. All of them were dead within 1 week of adding them. This was first attempt at shrimp
Parameters
Gh 1 (solution never turned orange so I believe that means 1)
Kh 9
Ph 8
Ammonia and nitrite 0
Nitrate ~20-30 (test jumps from 20 to 40 and it in between)
Temp 76-78
Light on about 10 hours a day
Filter is aqueon quiet flow shrimp filter

Tank was fully cycled before add anything. The tank is heavily planted.

I performed around 2-3% 50% water changes in the week or so they were in there (found out after that is way too much)

Feed them bacter ae 2x in that week and fluval shrimp formula 2x in that week.

Shrimp were the mixed pack from Aquahuna.

Shrimp were acclimated by putting bag into water and adding water every 15 min for 1 hour (will do drip acclimation for 3-4 hours on next batch)

All of the shrimp lived for 3-4 days and then started dying off one by one until they were all gone. All appeared to die directly after molting.

Any advice on why they died and how I can prevent it next time. Also how to keep nitrate down when you can’t do as many water changes with shrimp. What is a better water change cycle.

Shrimp42

Gh is far too low, they probably all died due to failed molts. Also the water changes made it worse.

richiep

I agree with RomanNoodles96 putting them into gh1 with only four lots of water in an hour certainly shocked them into forced moults,
You need to sort your gh out test your tap water first and let us know what that is in gh value water changes you should only be doing 15/20%, weekly
Bactof ae how much are you adding,
Start here and let us know the results

Jdoherty12

I agree with RomanNoodles96 putting them into gh1 with only four lots of water in an hour certainly shocked them into forced moults,
You need to sort your gh out test your tap water first and let us know what that is in gh value water changes you should only be doing 15/20%, weekly
Bactof ae how much are you adding,
Start here and let us know the results

As far as water changes ya I was used to fish not shrimp so I did to many. I’ll dial it way back to just one 15/20 on sundays.

bacter ae is probably about 1/8 of the little spoon they give you every 2 days or so. Can’t tell you how much exactly that is.

Ya I’ll make sure I drip acclimate For 3-4 hours on next batch of shrimp. I figured I didn’t acclimate enough

I’ll test the gh of the tap when I get home but does it need to be much higher then 1? And if so how do I raise it
Gh is far too low, they probably all died due to failed molts. Also the water changes made it worse.
Does low gh cause them to not be able to molt properly? And I read that to many water changes prob forced them to molt early?

richiep

Gh needs to be above 6. Do your tap water test first let's see what's happening there before you take it further

Jdoherty12

Gh needs to be above 6. Do your tap water test first let's see what's happening there before you take it further
Well testing my tap water I got a gh of 1 still. Using the api kit it’s supposed to turn orange then green and it never turns orange. So my gh is very low

richiep

Yes it is the only way to sort it out is by using minerals. Can you do your kh & ph from the tap please
Your gh test goes straight to green?

Jdoherty12

Yes it is the only way to sort it out is by using minerals. Can you do your kh & ph from the tap please
Your gh test goes straight to green?
Ya my gh stays clear with a hint of green on first drop but test kit says since It doesn’t turn orange it has a gh of 1. The ph fresh out of the tap was around 7.8 so a tad lower. And the kh was around 12-13 with is higher then in the tank.

dMog

Also why is your nitrate so high in a shrimp tank that is heavily planted ..shrimp have a tiny bioload ...are you over feeding. bacter ae should be fed extremely less doses than the manufacturer recommends. You already figured out the too large a volume of partial water changes now you jut need to figure out how to get your general hardness and carbonate hardness to be stable constantly. shrimp salts is a good suggestion... get all this own pat before you get more shrimp. an ghost feed your beneficial bacteria and keep an eye on the nitrate.... shrimp tanks should not be at 40PPM...my shrimp tank is seldom above 5PPM...does your tap water have nitrate

richiep

I'm thinking of something like Seechem equilibrium or salty bee gh+ to raise your gh, im wondering which would be best with the high kh id like to get that down
Mot shrimpers dont like nitraits above 20

StarGirl

Ya my gh stays clear with a hint of green on first drop but test kit says since It doesn’t turn orange it has a gh of 1. The ph fresh out of the tap was around 7.8 so a tad lower. And the kh was around 12-13 with is higher then in the tank.
So are you trying more drops to see if it turns orange? Mine is like 15 drops....

dMog

most shrimp people i know use saltybee but they also use reverse osmosis water.
Is your tap water from a water softener system? or reverse osmosis filtered?

NightShift

There's a good video on Flip Aquatics about water hardness. Me personally I start out with RO/DI water, and add Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ until I get a TDS around 150 ppm to 225 ppm, that usually equates to around 6-8 GH.
I killed quite a few Cherry Shrimp before I figured this out. Now they are breeding like crazy in 5 and a 10 gal tanks I have. I've gone from 4 Petco shrimp, to more than I can count.

Jdoherty12

Also why is your nitrate so high in a shrimp tank that is heavily planted ..shrimp have a tiny bioload ...are you over feeding. bacter ae should be fed extremely less doses than the manufacturer recommends. You already figured out the too large a volume of partial water changes now you jut need to figure out how to get your general hardness and carbonate hardness to be stable constantly. shrimp salts is a good suggestion... get all this own pat before you get more shrimp. an ghost feed your beneficial bacteria and keep an eye on the nitrate.... shrimp tanks should not be at 40PPM...my shrimp tank is seldom above 5PPM...does your tap water have nitrate
My tap water has a nitrate reading of about 5ppm so that doesn’t help any. I think I did over feed at first on accident which didn’t help but I’m not sure why it so high still. The pic is my tap water
I'm thinking of something like Seechem equilibrium or salty bee gh+ to raise your gh, im wondering which would be best with the high kh id like to get that down
Mot shrimpers dont like nitraits above 20
So I need to bring my kh down and my gh up? What range would you like to see for both?
So are you trying more drops to see if it turns orange? Mine is like 15 drops....
The test Kit says that if it doesn’t turn orange on first drop then it a reading of 1. I can test again and just keep adding drops. But by about the 4th drop it was light green
most shrimp people i know use saltybee but they also use reverse osmosis water.
Is your tap water from a water softener system? or reverse osmosis filtered?
It’s water softener. Should I start buying RO water for my water changes? With that help the gh and kh on its own or will I still need to treat it
There's a good video on Flip Aquatics about water hardness. Me personally I start out with RO/DI water, and add Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ until I get a TDS around 150 ppm to 225 ppm, that usually equates to around 6-8 GH.
I killed quite a few Cherry Shrimp before I figured this out. Now they are breeding like crazy in 5 and a 10 gal tanks I have. I've gone from 4 Petco shrimp, to more than I can count.
Will the shrimp mineral raise my gh and kh? I think my kh is already high. And should I do like a 50% change with RO while there are no shrimp?

Attachments

• A07FC5CF-06D5-455F-97FC-747746CDE4CB.jpeg
    A07FC5CF-06D5-455F-97FC-747746CDE4CB.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 20

CTYankee79

Judging by your parameters it sounds like you have a water softener...if so, can you bypass the water softener and retest your Gh? I bet it will be much higher...otherwise I would add something like Seachem Equilibrium as others pointed out

Matt11711

As others have said, the tank issues were a combination of high nitrates, low gh, and too many water changes. Either bypassing your water softener or adding a salt such as seachem equilibrium would be necessary, and for the nitrates hopefully it was just the overfeeding. It could also be decaying plant matter if you have any in there that isn't being removed.

Jdoherty12

Judging by your parameters it sounds like you have a water softener...if so, can you bypass the water softener and retest your Gh? I bet it will be much higher...otherwise I would add something like Seachem Equilibrium as others pointed out
Okay I’ll look and see if I can but I’m not sure. If not then I’ll just get some equilibrium. Does that raise gh and kh?
As others have said, the tank issues were a combination of high nitrates, low gh, and too many water changes. Either bypassing your water softener or adding a salt such as seachem equilibrium would be necessary, and for the nitrates hopefully it was just the overfeeding. It could also be decaying plant matter if you have any in there that isn't being removed.
I did for a few days but I’ve been trying to get it out. If a plant is dying at all is it best to just cut it at the base and let it regrow?

CTYankee79

Okay I’ll look and see if I can but I’m not sure. If not then I’ll just get some equilibrium. Does that raise gh and kh?

I did for a few days but I’ve been trying to get it out. If a plant is dying at all is it best to just cut it at the base and let it regrow?
The equilibrium will only raise your Gh, not your kh. It will basically add back in the minerals your water softener is removing.

Jdoherty12

The equilibrium will only raise your Gh, not your kh. It will basically add back in the minerals your water softener is removing.
Okay perfect. And with an 8 gal tank and a gh of 1 how do I go about dosing it. I’m sure there instruction but any suggestions help

dMog

there are excellent videos on utube on shrimp basics,,form water and how to keep it optimal for your shrimp to how to feed shrimp and how much they eat as well as plants and caring for them in shrimp tanks... in short everything you need answered instead of just one question at a time here...the biggest thing right now, if your tap water is from a water softener system you will need to get your tank water from the bypass side of the softener. Every water softener i have seen or installed myself has had a bypass tap close to the actual unit and also bypasses the softener to ensure non-softener water goes to the outside taps for lawns and gardens

FishSupreme

Don't get the mixed pack next time. They all breed together and the final product is an ugly brown. Order a pack of one specific color. Cherry shrimp are good as they are the hardiest.

Jdoherty12

there are excellent videos on utube on shrimp basics,,form water and how to keep it optimal for your shrimp to how to feed shrimp and how much they eat as well as plants and caring for them in shrimp tanks... in short everything you need answered instead of just one question at a time here...the biggest thing right now, if your tap water is from a water softener system you will need to get your tank water from the bypass side of the softener. Every water softener i have seen or installed myself has had a bypass tap close to the actual unit and also bypasses the softener to ensure non-softener water goes to the outside taps for lawns and gardens
My tap water would still come out with the 5ppm nitrate that I just tested correct? My issue is my water is low in gh and high in nitrates

FishSupreme

If you really are worried then you could add gh with shrimp salts. There might be a much easier answer, but I can't think of it right now.

Jdoherty12

Is there
I use easy green all in one fertilizer for the plants 2x a week. Is there a chance that this is adding nitrates if all of the ferts aren’t being used?

dMog

Is there

I use easy green all in one fertilizer for the plants 2x a week. Is there a chance that this is adding nitrates if all of the ferts aren’t being used?
what are the listed ingredients on the label..also if that list contains copper, copper is poisonous to shrimp. In any case try to just use ferts once a month with your shrimp unless your plants are seeming to suffer. if you have been overfeeding, as it seems and your nitrates were at 40ppm you most likely have more than enough nutrients for your plants right now.
really some very good advice is to take some time and view a few u-tube videos on shrimp basics. the time you have spent here on one tiny thread would, if you viewed just 4 videos on shrimp basics would have more than answered this question and about two dozen others that you also need to know

Jdoherty12

what are the listed ingredients on the label..also if that list contains copper, copper is poisonous to shrimp. In any case try to just use ferts once a month with your shrimp unless your plants are seeming to suffer. if you have been overfeeding, as it seems and your nitrates were at 40ppm you most likely have more than enough nutrients for your plants right now.
really some very good advice is to take some time and view a few u-tube videos on shrimp basics. the time you have spent here on one tiny thread would, if you viewed just 4 videos on shrimp basics would have more than answered this question and about two dozen others that you also need to know
Ya I’ll check out the videos for sure. Good advice. But the list also shows copper at 0.00% so I reached out the the company to see if it had copper in it. I don’t why it would be listed but then say 0. If that is the case I’ll stop dosing all together or find a new fertilizer

Matt11711

Ya I’ll check out the videos for sure. Good advice. But the list also shows copper at 0.00% so I reached out the the company to see if it had copper in it. I don’t why it would be listed but then say 0. If that is the case I’ll stop dosing all together or find a new fertilizer
If it says no copper then it's pretty likely that there isn't copper in it. Did you check if it had added nitrates or if it was just a trace element fertilizer?

dMog

Most liquid ferts have copper isted...0.002 or there abouts...safe for shrimp ...unless you never do partial water changes.There are also brands that make a SHRIMP SAFE version. with no copper at all. I use the shrimp safe version but still only dose half the recommended dose and only dose once a month at most... and my plants are like jungle in my shrimp tank...and as stated earlier...nitrates below 5PPM and most times 0...i have lots of water lettuce and duckweed...eats that stuff all up

Jdoherty12

Most liquid ferts have copper isted...0.002 or there abouts...safe for shrimp ...unless you never do partial water changes.There are also brands that make a SHRIMP SAFE version. with no copper at all. I use the shrimp safe version but still only dose half the recommended dose and only dose once a month at most... and my plants are like jungle in my shrimp tank...and as stated earlier...nitrates below 5PPM and most times 0...i have lots of water lettuce and duckweed...eats that stuff all up
Ya I just found a picture of the bottle and on the back it says shrimp safe. So the ferts are fine. I will definitely get some duckweed to help with nitrates. Also like you said I’ll cut way back on dosing it. I appreciate the advice it’s all piecing together now
If it says no copper then it's pretty likely that there isn't copper in it. Did you check if it had added nitrates or if it was just a trace element fertilizer?
Ya it says no copper and shrimp safe I just wasn’t able to find label for a few. This is the list of ingredients

Easy Green Contains: N 2.66% , P 0.46%, K 9.21%, Mg 0.7%, S 0.80%, B 0.015%, Cu 0.00%, Fe 0.13%, Mn 0.036%, Mo 0.00%, Zn 0.072%

NPK 2.66 - 0.46 -9.21

when I get home I can find the actual label and get a better answer but I’m sure it has nitrates in it. I just need to dose prob 1/4 of the amount I dose in a month. I’ll drop to maybe once every 2 weeks or so and see how plants react compared to 2x a week.

ProudPapa

I've been dosing Easy Green according to the label directions at least once per week for quite a while and haven't noticed any ill effects on my shrimp. It is shrimp safe. I don't know what's killing your shrimp, but I'm pretty sure it isn't that, unless you're massively overdosing.

Jdoherty12

I've been dosing Easy Green according to the label directions at least once per week for quite a while and haven't noticed any ill effects on my shrimp. It is shrimp safe. I don't know what's killing your shrimp, but I'm pretty sure it isn't that, unless you're massively overdosing.
Ya well I have been dosing 2x a week because I considered my tank a medium light but I’m going to dial it down to 1x a week or less at least. Ya I don’t think it is that that killed them. I think it was mainly to many water changes forcing them to molt early and low gh causing them to be to weak to handle it. The easy green is just making my nitrates too high. But I’ll start using RO water and dosing way less

CTYankee79

EZ Green is shrimp safe...however if your nitrates are 40ppm you might want to try to cut it down to once a week...40ppm is not terrible and is common in planted tanks, however it sounds like for shrimp (about which I know very little) that might be too high.

To recap—start adding Equilibrium, cut down on EZ green and water changes. Hope this will help your situation.

FishSupreme

I already commented this, but you can't just add RO water directly. You need to remineralize with some salts. Shrimp salts are specifically made for shrimp though they are expensive.

mattgirl

If you have a few extra minutes you may want to read this thread (my shrimp keeping journey). I am sorry you lost your first shrimp. Listen to richiep If not for his advice I don't think I would be as successful as I've been.

Jdoherty12

I already commented this, but you can't just add RO water directly. You need to remineralize with some salts. Shrimp salts are specifically made for shrimp though they are expensive.
Ya I would switch to RO water and add equilibrium to it before I add to tank
EZ Green is shrimp safe...however if your nitrates are 40ppm you might want to try to cut it down to once a week...40ppm is not terrible and is common in planted tanks, however it sounds like for shrimp (about which I know very little) that might be too high.

To recap—start adding Equilibrium, cut down on EZ green and water changes. Hope this will help your situation.
Yup thanks for the recap and advice, all easy fixes!
If you have a few extra minutes you may want to read this thread (my shrimp keeping journey). I am sorry you lost your first shrimp. Listen to richiep If not for his advice I don't think I would be as successful as I've been.
Got it, I’ll check it out thanks for the help!

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom