All my molly fry just disappeared! Help

1. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have three tanks which contain molly and guppy fry. They range from 4months to newborn. there is two 25G and a 10G with the younger ones.

I went out today and when I came back every single molly fry had gone. Vanished! Not a trace. All 33 of them in all three tanks. One died yesterday in the 10G (the first fry body I have ever found actually, 'he' was born 23.05.14)

All the guppies are still there all fine and dandy. The tanks have one plant and are bare bottomed at the moment until I get around to scaping.

Parameters in 25Gs 0,0,10 in 10G 0,0,5.

I have done no water changes in the past three days in any of these tanks. I have moved no substrate, decor, plants, fish, anything nor have I changed the way I do anything.

Where have they gone?!xxx

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My first thought would be the older fry ate the younger ones but for all of them to disappear without trace, especially the 4 month old ones is very odd ???

3. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

The small ones were in the 10G, I had separated the ones I could sex into the male/female 25's. I mean, could the guppies (who are similarly sized) have turned on the mollies specifically? I just can't understand why only the mollies have died and all 33. I have 27 guppies all doing fine! I'm so confused!xx

4. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

That IS strange! There is no explanation. All 3 tanks? Cats, children or ??

5. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

No pets and a baby, but he was with me. We were out all day, I fed them before we left and when I came back just the molly fry were gone. All the guppy fry are still in the tanks! I don't get it.

I did find a dead one yesterday and I've never found a body before but I just assumed that the other disappearances were eaten. I rarely remove newborns from the main tank until they are too big to be eaten (unless they look particularly interesting!) so I'm not surprised they died but the older ones were getting big!x

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Could they have gotten sucked up in the filter somehow?

7. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

They all have sponge filters so it's very unlikely, plus I'd think if that happened it would of got some of the guppies too!xx

8. Micaela13

Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

That is weird! ??? I have no idea what that could of been.
    This reminds me of a time when I had swordtail fry in the floating breeder box, I had about 20 of them and all of a sudden I was down to 13 over night. No bodies, no nothing, and the lid was on ??? I was very confused and couldn't figure out what had happened to them. The next morning I woke up to only having 7, and then 3 the next morning. I was in shock. The last night I flipped on the lights in the middle of the night because I wanted to figure out where they were going. Hatchling bladder snails were attacking them while they were sleeping and consuming them before morning came!!! They were eating them live!! lol. I never would have guessed that in a million years. I was shocked :O
    That still doesn't explain yours tho, because I dont think they have a preference on types :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

All three tanks do have millions of bladder snails and ramshorns, so it could be them I suppose... Maybe mollies are really tasty and guppies are icky!?xx

This is just bizarre. As you say, it doesn't explain why only the mollies are gone. I keep thinking they'll just reappear but there's no where for them to hide really!xx

10. Micaela13

Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Haha you just never know I guess :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app