all my fish have died within 24 hours! HELP!

1. fishyfriend Initiate Member

:mad: ok well i had 2 angel fish, 2 tiger barbs, 3 guppies and a suckerfish. last morning i notice 2 guppies have died so i think its because the water temp cause the water felt real cold so i bought a heater and heated the water to about 77 well now this afternoon the rest have kicked the bucket i only have the suckerfish left. i was thinking the change in temp but the last few fish seemed ok after a few hours of the temp change. what in the world happend to them??? the sucker fish keeps swimming fast to the top of the water as if gulping air. i want to fix the problem to get more fish but i dont know if i should change the water completely or treat for something. i dont want my sucker fish to die but im thinking the water is bad and i might just have to change the water completely but i dont know how when i still have a fish in there. any help would be appreciated.

i have had the tank set up for about a month with perfect nitrite and nitrate

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi fishyfriend welcome to FishLore!
    I'm really sorry about your fish. :(
    Gulping for air usually is a sign of poor water quality.
    Do you know about the nitrogen cycle
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    What size tank?
    When was it set up?
    Are you doing regular water changes and vacuuming the gravel?
    When was the last water change?
    If you could fill in your aquarium info, it'll be easier fo the members to help you without having to ask a bunch of questions.
    Look at the top left under My Settings.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and Welcome to FishLore!

Awe, I am sorry about your loss.

So perfect readings for a cycled tank is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte and 20 or less nitrAtes. What exactly are your readings as Lucy asked? I would do a 50% water change with your dechlorinator. The new water needs to be the same temp as not to shock the pleco. Just poor it in slowly. If there is toxins in the water, pretty sure there is, a water change will help for now. A good water conditioner is Prime or Amquel Plus. When you want to raise or lower the temp, you have to do it slowly or you will shock the fish. Usually a degree every hour. Do not add anymore fish at this time.

It would help us to help you if you would answer Lucy's questions please. Thanks :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Fishy and Welcome to Fish Lore. Great advice and suggestions above. So sorry to hear about your fish loss.

When you get a chance, if you would be so kind as to complete your aquarium information in your profile it will be a big help to others.

Best wishes!
    Ken

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Once you can provide the information requested above, we'll have a starting place to help you get your tank issue resolved. We're glad you're here! There are a lot of helpful and friendly people on this forum.

6. fishyfriend Initiate Member

thank you everyone! i updated my stats. im new and didnt know what to do :)

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

From looking at your aquarium information, it seems safe to say your tank hasn't completed the nitrogen cycle. It's a good guess that your fish died from ammonia poisoning caused by an uncycled tank.

The best advice would be to get an API test kit. Pet stores are notorious for not providing correct information on cycling of a tank. If you get an API test kit and post the readings, we could help you from there.

Hang in there! Most of us have been where you are right now.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) Not a problem, thanks for updating.
    If you could answer some of the questions in post #2 that aren't asked in the aquarium info such as when was the last time you did a water change.....

I agree with BB.
    Just a guess here since we don't have pics or symptoms to go by and this is all hind sight. Your 10g tank cannot handle the amount of waste your original fish produced.
    What kind of sucker fish do you have?
    As said above, gulping at the surface is usually a sign of poor water quality.
    If you haven't done so today, I would suggest a good water change.

Also knowing the exact reading for ammonia nitrite and nitrate would be very helpful. The kit BB suggested is very reliable. Avoid the strips, they can be inaccurate.