All My Barbs Just Died

Ewan Taylor

Might not be the right place to post this, but a tank with seven golden barbs just died today. The tank also contains for tetras and a plecostomus, who haven't died. The barbs were all alive this morning, the only unusual thing I saw was one of the barbs floating a bit, but I put it down to the fish, as it was completely twisted to the point where it would've used a wheelchair if it were human. The tank has been around for about six years, the barbs being alive for that whole time. The pleco has been around for about four years, same with the barbs. No major changes have happened to the tank recently, aside from a water change/ filter replacement a week ago, and a replacement heater a bit before that. All the fish were alive at 8 am this morning, and at 12 am the *next* day all the barbs were stone dead. The pleco, who I almost never see out of his little cave, was on a wall, and the barbs weren't moving as much as usual. I've done a couple basic alkalinity tests (ph is a bit low, around 6), and replaced the water. However, when my dad and I went to check out the tank, the pleco on the wall started violently swimming upward, seemingly without control. We promptly unplugged all the electricals, and he stopped, but that might've been from the fact that the filter turned off from above him. If anyone has any ideas of what this might be, how to solve anything I can, or a better place to find answers, your comment would be appreciated.

david1978

This is a good article. Covers behavior and testing.

grump299

Sorry about your losses. Have you checked your water to rule out a cycle crash. What are your readings..and what size tank is it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DuaneV
Replies
Views
jdhef
  • Question
120 Gallon Tank Tiger Barbs all dying
Replies
Views
Andres391