ALL MALE ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, still trying to find the right mix of fish for this 29 gallon tank. Up until now I have not wanted live bearers. But, my daughter loves them. (the colors I am sure)
So here is my question.
Could I do the following.
6 glofish
3 Male Sunset Platy
3 Male Guppies
4 cories (the small ones forget the name)

If they are all male, would this work? Will they live in some type of harmony?
thanks

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I tried doing all males when I was setting up my 45g tropical tank but it just did NOT work out. I had all male platies, guppies and swordtails and they constantly chased each other around the tank. I ended taking a bunch back to the store to trade for females. After that, everyone was much happier. The only good things that i could think of for all males is that they tend to be more colorful and you don't need to worry about breeding. If you would prefer a more peaceful tank, stick with a male:female ratio of 1:2. They WILL end up breeding so either you could leave them on they're own and let the other fish eat them or you could learn how to breed fish and raise fry. Hope this helps any ;D

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
with male live bearers, its a give or take kinda thing...some work, some dont...in my 30g I had no luck with all males...they picked on each others tails too much...but members have success with all males.I ended up 1m to 3-4f to make happiness

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My experience with 3 male guppies in my 30g was mixed. They worked for the most part, but at times, there was some serious aggression. I would put one or two male livebearers in, but stop at that, personally.

You could do:
8 glofish (they are fin-nippers, my danios got rehomed after eating the tail off of one of my guppies)
1 male guppy
1 male sunset platy
6 panda cories OR 10 pygmy cories

Just make sure you add fish slowly to the tank (over a couple of months) so that your cycle can keep up.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like Meenu's suggestion and stocking list. But maybe replace the glofish with a school of tetras since Glofish are fin nippers and some tetras aren't really aggressive fin nippers. That's my own opinion

Best of luck!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like Meenu's suggestion and stocking list. But maybe replace the glofish with a school of tetras since Glofish are fin nippers and some tetras aren't really aggressive fin nippers. That's my own opinion

Best of luck!
I would replace with tetras too, but danios and I don't get along. I like cardinals and neons, though...

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would replace with tetras too, but danios and I don't get along. I like cardinals and neons, though...
haha I wonder why? :whistling:

Cardinals or Neons would go nicely but NewbieGirl's tank is still new, according to her aquarium info, she'll be starting in May, so Cardinals is out of the question and having neons can be a bit risky...

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What I did was go all female with my 5 platies, and that works just fine (I don't even bother trying to sex my cories). Sure, you'll have a few batches of fry for awhile if they are already preggers when first getting them from the LFS - but they soon run out of fry and nature handles population control quite efficiently in an aquarium.

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks but the one fish I CANNOT replace is the glofish my daughter LOVES them and it is her tank.
Maybe going with 6 glofish 4 platies but all female 1 male guppy and the cories
Would this work? that way the male would harrass a few females but not produce
Just a thought
I will not add any fish until fishless cycle done then very slowly. I am starting 6 weeks before my daughter's birthday so that by the 19th of June she can have at least glofish if all works. I am "listening" to you guys. Trust me I want to do this right.
Also, I am certain the tank would take care of the fry but this is my 2 year old's room I don't want to explain what happened to the little fishes. If you get my meaning. As is I will probably have to do that but she is obsessed with all animals and will take it hard if it is "baby fish" that would be even more rough.
What do you think about this proposed combination?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks but the one fish I CANNOT replace is the glofish my daughter LOVES them and it is her tank.
Maybe going with 6 glofish 4 platies but all female 1 male guppy and the cories
I think this would work fine.
I also think the stocking list I recommended above would work. are you planning on getting panda or pygmy cories?

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really wouldn't worry about having male and female guppies in a community tank. Any fry that is born will get eaten any way by the other fish. Go ahead and get the females in both breeds to stop the fighting among the males. I have had a community tank with all sorts of fish livebearers famles and males and have yet to see a fry in it. I'm sure they have been born but they get eaten right away.

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really wouldn't worry about having male and female guppies in a community tank. Any fry that is born will get eaten any way by the other fish. Go ahead and get the females in both breeds to stop the fighting among the males. I have had a community tank with all sorts of fish livebearers famles and males and have yet to see a fry in it. I'm sure they have been born but they get eaten right away.
Have anyone else had this happen?

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Meenu:
I am not certain about cories. Which do you recommend? I want a bottom dweller to balance the tank and chose these as they also feed on the bottom so thought might help with keeping it cleaner. Also they are small so could have several

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you're wanting to avoid the aggression and the chance of fry, you could do male guppies and female platies (please, no pluppy comments). It seems that the platies attract the guppies' attention, but they're completely incapable of producing fry.
Not all livebearers will eat their young, and even if they do, there's always the chance that some fry will survive. Except in an entirely bare tank, there's always hiding places. As was said in Jurassic Park, "nature will find a way."

In my opinion, that tank is pretty heavily stocked. Not horribly so, but enough that your water changes will have to be pretty large, and there is more of a chance for violence in the tank. In my opinion, if you wanted to go with the Glofish, go all the way and have it a Glofish and cory tank.
Otherwise, you could get male guppies (a couple of different color variants, if you want) and a handful of female platies
or
You could go with a small group of guppies and let them breed. I don't know how old your daughter is, but when I was a kid, I loved seeing the fry. The tank will pace itself, and the rate of fry survival will drop as there are more adults to find them. Of course, if the parents turn out to not eat their fry, you'll have to eventually find someone to take the young, and you will eventually want to get rid of at least a few of the adults, but some local fish stores will take them off your hands (though they usually won't pay for such common fish, unless they're a rare/new color morph.

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could do:
8 glofish (they are fin-nippers, my danios got rehomed after eating the tail off of one of my guppies)
1 male guppy
1 male sunset platy
6 panda cories OR 10 pygmy cories
Think I will stick close to this combo but have 6 glo 2 female platy and 1 male guppy with the 5 panda they were cute when I looked or 5 pygmy

That will also use the idea of Sirdarksol and have the 2 female platy with 1 male guppy (look no pluppy joke). Also this may lower the numbers a little. I do not want it to be overcrowded. I think this would have me at about 24 inches of mature fish in my 29 gallon tank. Is that good?
thanks all

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think this sounds good, except with only 5 cories, I would avoid the pygmies. Pygmy cories need to be in large groups, and will actually die if the group isn't big enough. You may have to add another platy girl to the mix if the guppy harasses the 2 platies too much.

6 glodish
2-3 female platies
1 male guppy
5 cories
looks like a good list. Don't forget to stock slowly.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wanted to chime in about all male or female livebearers since that what's in my daughter's tank. We have four male platys and except for the occasional chase they all get along fine. We had three female mollies (found one dead this morning...) and the original Molly chases the other two a lot, nips at the silver lyretail and even chases the male platys. But I've yet to see injury.

We got all males because we don't want fry and we were very careful to pick females that didn't look pregnant (and we returned the one that was). Some fry will always survive even without good places to hide--trust me.

-Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom