All male Rainbowfish tank?

Tex52719

Reactions
Hi there! First post here. I’ll make it short. Does anyone have experience with an all male Rainbowfish tank? What are the perks and the downfalls? I’ve read about lack of flashing but also heard the opposite. Also would all males be less aggressive without the presence of females? I have no interest in breeding and raising fry. I am interested in varieties like Millennium, Boesemani, yellow, turquoise, Goyder. Very common types but will be from reputable breeder. No dwarfs. Also, actually experience please, not just speculations. Thanks!

jdhef

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

I've been keeping all male rainbow fish for over 10 years now. Like you I have no desire to breed or raise fry.

The perks are that all the fish are colorful. The downfall (for me at least) is that my LFS wants to sell many species of the Rainbows as a M/F pair. They will sell you a single male, but you have to pay for the pair.

I keep or have kept all the species you listed and the fish are generally very peaceful. Every once in a while one will get a little aggressive and start chasing the other Rainbows, but it will never actually attack a fish and the behavior is short lived.

I think if you go with a all male Rainbow tank you will be very happy.

OP
T

Tex52719

Reactions
Thank you so much jdhef! My gut wants to go all male and your response makes me feel more comfortable with that. I swear I’ve searched everywhere and I can only found a couple thread responses on this so thank you! I have some pretty great fish stores within an hour of me so I’m not worried about selection. Or I think I’ve found some good online breeders/sellers (IMO)

New Threads