All Male Rainbowfish Tank?

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by RainSong1, May 18, 2019.

1. RainSong1

RainSong1Valued MemberMember

Hi:

I have a 145 gallon tank that hosts some roseline sharks and 2 pairs of angelfish. I would like to add a bunch of rainbow fish. Since the males tend to be a lot more colorful, would I be best suited to introduce a bunch of males from different species? Are all-male rainbow fish tanks even practical?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Most species males wont color up well without females. Why get dressed up if you don't have a date to the dance? That said, my 2 reds are coloring up nicely despite no obvious female. The body shape is similar to my Australian rainbows so they may be trying to impress them. (Dont ask me what an Australian rainbow is. They look similar in body to the Iranians but with reddish fins and more of a shimmer blue body. They were 2 for 5 vs my Iranians at 15 a pop. The other 8 iranians are in qt atm and will join in later.)

Also, are you thinking dwarfs, or regular sized? Idk how well dwarfs would do with the Angel's you have, but the roseline sharks I have dont bother anyone at all and probably wouldn't mind. Some of those dwarfs are gorgeous!

3. OP
    OP
    RainSong1

I am thinking about the larger rainbows... boesmani, yellow, turquoise etc.

4. Wraithen

I'm pretty confident Gary Lange mentioned boesmani in particular dont like to color up well without girls. Then again, they only color up when lights first come on anyway. Not sure about the others though. Get ready to go through bloodworms like water. These guys with roselines are like piranhas at feeding time.

5. OP
    OP
    RainSong1

Thanks for the responses!

Other than coloring up (or lack thereof) will an all male rainbow tank cause any other issues... such as aggression?

6. Wraithen

I'm not sure on that. How are you planning on sexing store aged fish? A wrong guess could wind up causing issues?

I'm sure someone has tried this, I'm just unsure where to look exactly to find out what the outcome was. I suspect that if there was aggression, it would be dispersed like with most other fish.

7. OP
    OP
    RainSong1

Thanks for all the input. I ended up ordering 3 pairs of Boesmani from Aquabid.