All Male Guppy Tank?

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! So a family member surprised me with two new GORGEOUS guppies that we had been looking at. The only problem is now the male to female ratio is quite troublesome. It also doesn't help that the tank has been divided for my recent guppy fry and they don't have as much space to hide. But I'd hate to part with any of my male guppies, especially the new ones. So after my female guppies pass, or we might have to give them away, does anyone recommend an all male tank? Especially after all the effort put forth for the guppy fry, I'd prefer to not have any more. Trust me, I love them to death and it's been a wonderful experience but I don't think I can do this about every month. Including rehoming them, it's a hassle. I'd love to know any problems you might have with it or things I should know. Also, how should I keep my females comfortable until I can do something with them? I'm watching for any signs of stress from the males attempting to mate but they honestly seem unbothered. They never hide from them, even when the males try and mate. They just ignore it. So should I be worried about it? I greatly appreciate any help! - Caroline

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t know much about guppies but I do know a lot of people have all male tanks. The problem arises when you have a lot of males and just 1-2 females, then it stresses the gals.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well you will be getting fry for the next 8months after separates them. Females can store the sperm for months. Just get two tanks and have a male tank and female tank.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WTFish? said:
I don’t know much about guppies but I do know a lot of people have all male tanks. The problem arises when you have a lot of males and just 1-2 females, then it stresses the gals.
Thank you so much for the reply! And absolutely, that's the part I'm slightly worried about. I'll monitor them and make sure they don't become too stressed.

CanadianFishFan said:
Well you will be getting fry for the next 8months after separates them. Females can store the sperm for months. Just get two tanks and have a male tank and female tank.
Oh yes, I am quite aware of the storing sperm. Crazy! And you're right, I ought to just get a smaller tank for the females and enjoy the trip. Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All male guppy tanks are great, so long as the males are of a similar age. All young males or all older males are fine, but a mixture of younger and older males can cause the younger males to chase the older ones in sexual frustration and the older ones to nip at their fins to try and be rid of them.

Apart from that, males and males work fine

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mary765 said:
All male guppy tanks are great, so long as the males are of a similar age. All young males or all older males are fine, but a mixture of younger and older males can cause the younger males to chase the older ones in sexual frustration and the older ones to nip at their fins to try and be rid of them.

Apart from that, males and males work fine
Very interesting, I didn't know that. Thank you so much, I'll keep this in mind!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Caroline J said:
Very interesting, I didn't know that. Thank you so much, I'll keep this in mind!
No problem. I made that mistake and had to throw in a divider for a few months until the younger grew up, so I just thought I would share so others don't do the same

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mary765 said:
No problem. I made that mistake and had to throw in a divider for a few months until the younger grew up, so I just thought I would share so others don't do the same
Oooh I totally get that. I really appreciate you sharing so others can maybe avoid that mistake!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom