All land plants that can grow in HOB filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Aqua Hero, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Aqua Hero

Aqua Hero Well Known Member Member

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Most anything that you can get to root will grow in an hob, whether or not all of them are fish safe I don't know. .. ones I know others have used with success are: pothos, philodendron, spider plant, ivy, agleonema, peace Lily, sweet potato, dracaena, lucky bamboo, arrowhead. A bunch of those are toxic to cats and dogs (and a couple are even slightly toxic to people if you get their sap on your skin) but I haven't done enough research to know their impact on fish. I know some people wanted to try Dieffenbachia, and croton but don't know how they worked. I've seen some people use herbs like basil. I've never gotten ferns to root in water, in fact I've down right drown a couple in pots over the years :( peperomia might work but I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hero

Cheers just what I wanted

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Poisonous Plants

Links of interest above.

Ken

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hero

6. Aquarist

There is an aquatic plant called Wisteria that is perfectly fine, however, the Wisteria Vine that grows outside would not be a good choice.

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hero

Oh okay

8. Aquarist

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Forgot to mention, the two that have sap that can be an irritant are the Dieffenbachia and arrowhead, i wouldn't use them personally for this reason but I know others have tried. Since the roots will be contained in your hob you shouldn't have to worry about them being nibbled on so I imagine a lot of the others would work. I also wanted to add wandering jew to the list, it's been used by others as well. :) let us know what you decide on and how it works for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I personally would not do crotons as the have a toxic latex type sap that can be very irritating to some people. I agree though as the majority of plants that will root in water would probably do okay in the hob filter. Alison

11. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice