All good after adding fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by guppygrl, Nov 25, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrlValued MemberMember

So it's been a week since my water parameters have gotten to no ammonia and no nitrites.. nitrates settled down to a healthy range.

I picked up some fish after my water change. Not sure if it's because of the prime but my levels were still good tonight when I tested.

I got some new guppies but found a female at the bottom and although she was a alive, her tail was chewed almost off. I isolated her in a breeder box but don't know if she has any chance of surviving. My male Dalmatian Molly has gotten aggressive with the additions.

The other guppies are fine and swimming around.

I think when I get my new tank in February i will dedicated it to only guppies.

2. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

I've heard people say to rearrange the decorations/wood/rocks/whatever in the tank to remove their territorial issues. Maybe the new guppy ventured into "his" spot.

Congrats on the cycle! :)

3. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

thanks Terra :) I'm so happy it's cycled. not going to miss the daily water changes. lol

that's a good idea about rearranging the decor... i haven't seen him favor a spot before but i don't see what they do at lights out. I'll give that a try.

I'm sure the fish will die.. fins don't grow back do they?

4. Terra

That question's been asked quite a bunch around here, and the concensus is yep, they usually do as long as there's still some nub left to grow on.

My first betta I got had a pretty ratty tail, dunno if he chewed it off himself or what, but it wasn't so pretty. It was much improved after only 1 week, and perfect now :)

5. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

sadly she passed away during the night. poor fish. :(

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your fish. It is hard to lose one, even if you haven't had it very long.

7. Terra

Aww I'm sorry :( You need to give that molly a stern talking-to!

8. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I thought for sure that guppygrl would have a guppy tank ;)

9. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I'm planning on a guppy tank in February! i want to take time and properly plan it out. get the tank established with plants before adding the guppies.

thanks for the condolences.... only other fish lovers would understand.

10. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

terra.. I'll be talking to the Molly later lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice