All Fish Swimming Up and Down Tank Glass?

TheTankKeeper
All my fish are swimming up and down the side of the tank in one particular spot. Mainly it's the dwarf gourami and guppies swimming up and down the same spot on the glass but occasionally the corydoras do the same?

Is this normal because they like the cold feel and smoothness of the glass?

P.S the fish are very active and are really fun to watch, 3 days ago one of my guppies split its tail (don't know how) but now its healed and back to normal what a recovery!

ScottsTanks
Hey TankKeeper! When fish swim up and down against the glass, its called glass surfing and its usually an indication of stress. I had a lone pictus catfish that should have been in a shoal and he would glass surf in one corner of the tank all day long; in the pet store they seem to zip around in groups but never glass surf.

My guess is that your tank is slightly overstocked. I noticed that you did not indicate in your profile that you know about the nitrogen cycle and you did not fill in your ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate levels. The glass surfing might be a response to a chemical imbalance in the tank. As for the cories, they occasionally need to go to the surface of the water to get extra oxygen so you will often see them dart to the surface and then straight down to the bottom again. My suggestion would be to test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and post the results it will help other fishkeepers pinpoint the cause of the glass surfing more accurately.

TheTankKeeper
Thanks, Nitrate is 0 Nitrite is 0 BUT Ammonia is 1mg/L?

Is this because the tank hasn't established? What I have done is couple of water changes to lower the ammonia plus I lowered the pH to about 7.0 and used prime.

I'm not sure it to do with shoaling because DG's are usually kept in ones? and also my guppies are shoaling together and so are the 2 corys.

jdhef
Yes, your tank has not cycled. A cycled tank has 0ppm (or mg/L) ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and some nitrates.

Please read up on the nitrogen cycle, since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

Girlsbeforefish
Your tank has not cycled. No tanks should have 0 nitrates unless you are lightly stocked with a lot of plants. For now, I would do daily water changes with Prime until you read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and readings of nitrate.

TheTankKeeper
Okay How much water should I change per day and How often should I feed the fish?

And if I don't do daily water changes just weekly changes what will happen?

Girlsbeforefish
Okay How much water should I change per day and How often should I feed the fish?
I would do 30-40% daily. Feed once a day.

And if I don't do daily water changes just weekly changes what will happen?
The ammonia or nitrite will build up and your fish may die. Simple as that.

callichma
Use prime with your daily water changes and add the amount to treat the entire tank. Good luck with your cycling process.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Faytaya
Replies
Views
octopanda
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nobote
Replies