All female multi fish species tank?

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I want to do a more complex tank than ever and I was hoping to do an all female multi-species tank for my room I want to start from scratch and have a multI step process in the order of
1 set up a 10 gallon tank and start growing out live plant species
2 pick out a few fish species that are easy to tell the females from males and research
3 determine and get tank size needed
4 set up tank and cycle
5 aquascape like a perfectionist
6 add females to the tank

any fish, plant, tank size suggestions or aquascape ideas? I'm looking for beauty here (might do a male tank later but that will be so much harder)

list of maybes: mollys, livebearers, dwarf cichlids, pearl or dwarf gourami, platies, BN pleco, phantom tetras

ultimate tank size 20g
my plan first stage 10 gallon tank: 3 guppys a molly and a group of 5 schoolers, a moss/fern, dwarf lilly, water sprite

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am in a livebearer cycle at the moment. Four of our tanks are now populated with them. With them sexing is easy. But the females are not quite as colorful as the males. Mollies like to nibble on plants. They have not done any real damage to the wisteria, and do seem to do a good job helping with the algae.

OP
lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok ill keep them in mind and start a list also I'm looking for 3 to 6 diffrent species

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what type of fish are you looking for exactly? cichlids are usually very active and colourful, even as females. and then like suggested above there is the livebearer option.

is there any particular water chemistry that we will need to stick to for suggestions?

OP
lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
not really just gen ideas but they do have to be peaceful

Nikita

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Take livebearers and dwarf cichlids into consideration. Also look into a female Pearl Gourami, or Dwarf Gourami. The only thing about stocking with females is that many aren't as colorful as the male version or aren't as colorful without a male. I've found that some female Platies and Mollies can be just as colorful as a male, though. This is an interesting idea and I wish you luck on this planned build.

Are you sure it's alternanthera bettzickiana? I haven't heard very much success with keeping alternanthera bettzickiana as an submerged/aquatic plant. Most alternanthera species don't do grow that well being submerged. Any other plant you have in mind? What kind of set-up are you planning on? If you were to do a low-light tank, I'd suggest taking a look at this: Excellent List of Low Light Plants

OP
lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought like an under water garden with patches of plants like you would see in a garden park
like this only under water

Nikita

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sure you could still replicate that with low-light plants.

Just take a look at the link to the plant list I gave you. Look up the plants on the list (if you don't already know what they look like) and see which ones you could possibly use to replicated the you had in mind.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Avoid female livebearers unless you want a ton of babies.

Personally, if I were doing a tank like this, I'd make it a bit larger and keep mid-size species. Perhaps a female BN pleco?

Also just wanted to let you know that Alternanthera Bettzickiana is not an aquatic plant. It will rot when submerged.

OP
lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hum I guess I was misinformed ok I will look at your list and I like the pleco but don't they get swimming pool sized?
I like hornwort for the tall plant.
water lettus for the small

Nikita

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bristlenose Plecos get around 3 - 4 inches in size, it's the common pleco (and quite a few other varieties) that get around a foot or two in length.

Hornwort and Water Lettus are floaters, sorry. I mean you can plant Hortwort, but I never had success in keeping it down. And the way it grows, it just gets huge and bushy.

OP
lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aww I wish I knew that before I ordered it

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
a old tank of mine with hornwort-

i've had lots get over 3 feet long.

I used river rocks to keep mine down

frampy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want a tetra group of females black phantoms are cool and easy to tell from the males. The females have red on their lower fins the males don't.

OP
lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
can anyone give me an idea for a small colored plant?

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ludwigia Repens - Red stem plant, so is as big or small as you want it. If you have too much light it might grow faster than you want to prune it, but with less light it should be controllable. It doesn't need quite as much light to be red than most others. Crypts are the only plants I know that grow red under less light, but none of the red (or other colored) crypts are small.

Someone above said mollies eat plants, I've never had a mollie damage my plants, but they do a wonderful job at eating various kinds of hair algae that plecos, otos, and other algae eating fish won't touch.

ravenlady13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sailfin mollies are pretty. I'm not sure I'd put balloon mollies in a community tank, just because their bulky bodies make them slower swimmers and they could miss out on the food. Black skirt tetras are really pretty, I don't know how you tell male from female, though.

OP
lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok so I just added a few plants I was growing already and a guppy and I'm acclimating my betta both females and right now because its a small tank I was thinking 2 more guppys a molly and a school of 5 of neon tetras, or serpae tetras, or phantom tetras.

ravenlady13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That MIGHT be pushing the limits on stocking that tank, but as long as you've got a good filter, you should be ok. For selecting which kind of tetra, I'd go to the pet store and look at them in person and see what you find most appealing. I just wouldn't recommend neons because they seem incredibly delicate compared to other tetras.

New Threads