All dwarf gourami color variants m/f

ArthurTheAquarist

To prevent confusion, here is a website that provides pictures of known dwarf gourami color variants. The male and female counterparts are shown.

DoubleDutch

To prevent confusion, here is a website that provides pictures of known dwarf gourami color variants. The male and female counterparts are shown.
Thanks. The ultimate proof how humans destroyed the natural beauty of the most beautiful fish excisting. There even isn't one male looking like it really should.

ArthurTheAquarist

Thanks. The ultimate proof how humans destroyed the natural beauty of the most beautiful fish excisting. There even isn't one male looking like it really should.
Unfortunately yes. The dwarf gourami is a beautiful fish, and we shouldn't have altered it. Check out this wild caught one! Why did we have to change anything about this fish? Its natural beauty is so pretty!

jinjerJOSH22

Does anyone actually know how they live in the wild? My assumtion is they are solitary based on behavior and a couple of videos i've seen of them in the wild. They're so often sold as pairs or groups.

DoubleDutch

Unfortunately yes. The dwarf gourami is a beautiful fish, and we shouldn't have altered it. Check out this wild caught one! Why did we have to change anything about this fish? Its natural beauty is so pretty!
THE most beautiful fish !

ArthurTheAquarist

THE most beautiful fish !
Agreed!

Does anyone actually know how they live in the wild? My assumtion is they are solitary based on behavior and a couple of videos i've seen of them in the wild. They're so often sold as pairs or groups.
Well like bettas I'm assuming that the males hold their own territories and live solitary, but I have seen a post on Instagram where a bunch of males from India I believe, were together grazing on algae.

http://instagr.am/p/BvJ6kW8hW-9/

jinjerJOSH22

Well like bettas I'm assuming that the males hold their own territories and live solitary, but I have seen a post on Instagram where a bunch of males from India I believe, were together grazing on algae.

Really interesting.

DoubleDutch

This pic looks like to proof my expectation they only will form a "territory" during the matingseason (end of the dry season when temps get higher) to mate and protect the bubblenest and the fry.

ArthurTheAquarist

This pic looks like to proof my expectation they only will form a "territory" during the matingseason (end of the dry season when temps get higher) to mate and protect the bubblenest and the fry.
That makes sense. I don't think there would be anything to defend when it isn't the mating season, thus really nothing to be territorial about. Also from what I heard, wild dwarfs are far more peaceful than farm raises ones.

DoubleDutch

Thanks for the awesome pics Arthur

jinjerJOSH22

That makes sense. I don't think there would be anything to defend when it isn't the mating season, thus really nothing to be territorial about. Also from what I heard, wild dwarfs are far more peaceful than farm raises ones.
Similar to Betta's, wild types are generally more peaceful.
I would love to have a setup that could reflect this but I would be worried about housing a large number of "Domestic' male Dwarf's together. Maybe in the future I'll try it out.

Like Dutch said, thanks for the pictures

ArthurTheAquarist

Thanks for the awesome pics Arthur
Thank you! But these are not my pictures! I don't deserve the credit, but you're welcome!

Similar to Betta's, wild types are generally more peaceful.
I would love to have a setup that could reflect this but I would be worried about housing a large number of "Domestic' male Dwarf's together. Maybe in the future I'll try it out.

Like Dutch said, thanks for the pictures
Thanks! But the pictures are not mine, I take no credit for these.

jinjerJOSH22

Thanks! But the pictures are not mine, I take no credit for these.28]
Posting links like the first one is very helpful.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AlexTherriault
Replies
Views
ArthurTheAquarist
Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
Replies