All black wild crayfish

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My boyfriend was looking for crayfish the other day and pulled this lovely lady out - she’s entirely black! (I did check gender) We decided to keep her since my mother absolutely loves crays. Just thought I’d share :) (Yes, I am familiar and practiced with keeping both store bought and wild caught crays, don’t worry)

D4739481-58A1-4A8A-83E3-3E4BE1CF7DE8.jpeg

E0CCA34B-67FB-4A96-9839-1248D1E96666.jpeg

5BF920FE-D3C0-4D9A-8DA7-CBD96E07DDF3.jpeg

My mother also picked a name for her: Onyx!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That’s a beauty! Is it a species thing or do you think it’s melanistic?

If you want to have a bit of fun, perhaps think about finding her a boyfriend. Even if babies don’t turn out the same color, if you breed them to their siblings (or mom) you may end up with more black crays!

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Demeter said:
That’s a beauty! Is it a species thing or do you think it’s melanistic?

If you want to have a bit of fun, perhaps think about finding her a boyfriend. Even if babies don’t turn out the same color, if you breed them to their siblings (or mom) you may end up with more black crays!
This is the first black crayfish I’ve ever seen around here, so I’d suspect she’s melanistic!

I do have a white male crayfish, I’m sure that’d make interesting babies lol
I might just keep my eyes peeled for another in the same area, see if I could find a male

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cheesecake said:
That’s super cool! I’m up in NY though, so I hope it’s not that one! Don’t need any more invasive species up here :p

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she's already that big than she's either someone's released pet, not a good thing to say the least, or as you already said, a melanistic, what ever that means. Here's to hoping she's not a released pet and if she is, than she's the only one and if there are others, they won't be able to withstand you NY winters. Being a bit of a naturist, I know what introduced species can do and it's rarely, if ever, a good thing.

I just kind of happened on this post because I have loved crawdads as long as I can remember and that is a very long time since I'm a bit on the older side. I actually wanted to turn my spare 10 gallon into a crawdad tank. But since I had so much luck with red cherry shrimp, I turned the tank into a blue cherry shrimp tank.

I think it might be time for me to do some creek walking and find some crawdads just for the fun of finding them. Would be a total waste of my all too little free time and maybe just what I need.

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
barbiespoodle said:
I think it might be time for me to do some creek walking and find some crawdads just for the fun of finding them. Would be a total waste of my all too little free time and maybe just what I need.
One of natures greatest pastimes :).

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
barbiespoodle said:
If she's already that big than she's either someone's released pet, not a good thing to say the least, or as you already said, a melanistic, what ever that means. Here's to hoping she's not a released pet and if she is, than she's the only one and if there are others, they won't be able to withstand you NY winters. Being a bit of a naturist, I know what introduced species can do and it's rarely, if ever, a good thing.

I just kind of happened on this post because I have loved crawdads as long as I can remember and that is a very long time since I'm a bit on the older side. I actually wanted to turn my spare 10 gallon into a crawdad tank. But since I had so much luck with red cherry shrimp, I turned the tank into a blue cherry shrimp tank.

Um, she’s a pretty normal size for the crayfish in my area. Definitely not a pet...

Melanism is the opposite of albinism - meaning an animal produces far more than the normal amounts of melanin, which is a dark/black pigment. So a melanistic animal is basically an entirely black animal that normally wouldn’t be that way.

Watching my store-bought crayfish, I highly doubt he could survive in the wild, regardless of temperature. He may be big, but he’s totally incompetent, and as such I can only assume captive bred crays aren’t raised on live food - he can’t even catch my fish when he actively tries. Would be out competed for sure in a natural environment.

But yes, non-native species can pose a great danger to native species, IF they become invasive. Many non-native species aren’t adapted to the new environment and perish, and yet others can even become “naturalized” and a functioning part of a system. Invasive species are often those species that are generalists (both in feeding and in tolerating different temperatures/environments), with high reproductive rates, fast growth rates, and a high dispersal rate :) I have a minor in environmental studies and plan on getting a doctorate in conservation genetics :D

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dew, thanks for the info, I always love learning something new.

Granted in our more northern inviros, northern Ohio here, invasive species, and I use the term invasive meaning introduced species either by accident or on purpose, aren't as big of a problem as, say, Florida. Even so, I know I have a few, both flora and fauna, especially flora, that are a big problem.

And another thing, let's use coyote's, which are really making themselves know in my area, as an example. I don't consider them as invasive but as survivalist who are capable of adjusting to their ever changing environment and thus able to move into parts of the country they historically are not known for.

Anyhow, I'm just an old lady who has had a love of nature her whole life. I only have my tiny 4 acres and while I do have my ornamentals in my gardens, I'm a big time plant lover, I also have a lot of wild and wooly areas I let do their own thing so I can enjoy wildflowers, spiders, caterpillars, birds, ect. And while I have holes in leaves or lose a plant here and there, that's ok, I much rather have nature around me than a manicured garden, for more interesting.

New Threads