All Black/white Tank

Keith P Mccoy

Reaction score
My son had a 5 gallon tank with some neon tetras and all fluorescent decor, which I am not personally fond of. I wanted to put my betta into a smaller tank so I offered to give him my 10 and make it really cool if he let me stock my 29 gallon with his tetras. We are gonna probably put a few black and white Molly's in it. I want to keep it strictly jet black and bright white, but I will probably have to bend the rules because I like plants in every tank and it's hard to find black and white decor.

Attachments

Sergeant Pepper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will say that anything white will probably eventually form some algae on it. So it's not going to stay black and white. Which one is going to have the black and white theme? The 10 gallon? If so, I think 10 gallons is too small for Molly's

Keith P Mccoy

Reaction score
Sergeant Pepper said:
I will say that anything white will probably eventually form some algae on it. So it's not going to stay black and white. Which one is going to have the black and white theme? The 10 gallon? If so, I think 10 gallons is too small for Molly's
I planned on doing 4 or 5 Molly's in the 10 gallon, I don't know how many fish they need for a happy school but I figured they need 2-2.5 gallons per.

Sergeant Pepper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mollys poop a lot and contribute a lot to a bioload. And 10 gallons isn't really recommended for them. They aren't schooling fish either, rather just social. I wouldn't put even 1 in anything less then a 15-20 gallon.

Instead you can go with Guppies, maybe 2-3 Platies

Keith P Mccoy

Reaction score
I did have an all white guppy, I haven't seen any all black ones yet but every time I go to the fish store I get a little better idea just what a wide range of colors and patterns they come in.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My mom would love the black and white theme and there are black guppies but ten gallons really limits the number and kind of fish. Keep us posted on what you come up with. I’m interested.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Black and white shrimp are a thing so there’s one option. Then there’s black/white bettas (may wat shrimp). Plus there’s guppies with black an white. Unfortunately there’s not many options because of the small tank size.

Mollies are a no-go, they can get upwards of 3in and having several active 3in fish in a 10gal is asking for problems.

Keith P Mccoy

Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
How about a divided betta tank?

One side will have white decor and a black betta(kinda rare)

The other side will have all black decor and a white betta.
That sounds pretty neat. I Will run that by my son

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom