All About Copepods!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pixelhoot, Jul 21, 2017.

1. pixelhoot

pixelhootValued MemberMember

Hello! So I recently changed the substrate for my 2.5 gallon tank to start keeping plants. I switched to Fluorite by Seachem and purchased at LFS. I got everything set up and the dust was just settled when I noticed a small buglike creature skittering around my tank. Turns out it was a Copepod and I have lots of em now! I read they were not harmful, so I'm not worried about them really. I would just like to hear about them from you guys since I'm sure I'm not the first to find these little guys in my tank.

2. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Cyclopoida copepods or another type? If Cyclopoida, I have a couple in my planted tank right now. They're pretty neat. Especially the easy sexing of them! That's hard to do with most tiny creatures. XD

If you ever wondered what one looks like under the microscope: (This one is a female.)

image.jpg

3. Protim Sarkar

Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

They are not harmful. I had once in my oscar tank. Their multiplication rate will become slower after a period of time.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Great food for nano fish like Boraras.

5. OP
    OP
    pixelhoot

pixelhootValued MemberMember

Yes, Cyclopoida! They're so cute. ♡ How do you sex them?
    It makes sense that their population would slow with no addition of food. It's cool to think about stuff like that! :>
    Also update: I found a small worm that I'm pretty sure is a Planarian from the movements. I know they feed on the Copepods, but I also read they could hurt any fish that rest on the substrate. I'll probably be transplanting some water sprite eventually and I have multiple fish species that rest on the substrate in my 20 gallon. Is there a way to be rid of the little flatworms that won't hurt the Copepods?

6. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

You can sex them based on if they have egg sacs. If they have egg sacs on the side, they are females. If not, they are likely males.

I dotted red where the egg sacs are.
    image.jpg

7. DHIWZ

DHIWZValued MemberMember

I can't speak exactly as to how to get rid of the Planaria (try sucking them up with your siphon maybe?), but I can tell you that you won't need to worry about hurting the Copepods. If your water is good you'll see them again in no time.

8. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I have them in a Platy tub at the yard. Good food for their fry.

9. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

Great photo. I assume younger females will not have egg sacs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice