All Aboard The Camallanus Express...

1. Biev Member Member

A few months back, I bought some danios against my better judgement - their bellies were on the large side. To make a long story short, I now have camallanus in at least three of my five tanks (possibly all five, since I share equipment and I've been moving plants around).

Question 1: I want to treat the tanks with levamisole, but I have some sensitive critters in there and I'm not sure what's safe for them. Does anyone know? Here's the list:

Hillstream loaches
    Nerite snails
    Shrimp (caridina, neocaridina)
    Axolotls
    Guppy fry
    Convict cichlid fry

Question 2: Should I euthanize fish that look bloated and/or have worms sticking out?

Thanks for your help!

2. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I'm no fish disease expert, but I've lurked in enough camalllanus threads to advise that you probably don't need to think about euthanization. I think the levamisole is effective when used properly, but I have no practical experience with it so I can't really help you there. Someone who has been there should be along shortly to help. Good luck!:)

3. VioletSS Member Member

I can't help, but just wanted to offer my sympathies - what an awful thing to deal with in possibly all your tanks. :(

4. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

5. leelew32 Initiate Member

I've just cured me with fenbendazole but I've used levamisole before too. Make sure your around when u use it

Some fish are sensitive to it.

6. Biev Member Member

It might make sense to try fenbendazole first, since it kills the worms rather than stunning them. I'm worried my axolotl might eat the worms as they're falling out - they do look an awful lot like bloodworms (-_-);

What if I start with fenbendazole medicated flakes, + half the normal dose of fenbendazole for the tank itself? And then if that doesn't work, do the same with levamisole?

7. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure. I'm pretty confident levamisole in the water column works if done properly, but that's just from reading about success stories. I'd be doing a forum search or scouring the fish disease forum for people's experiences with each med, in each dosage form. Until someone comes along with experience and tells you exactly what to do. I hope it works out for you!

8. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Fenbendazole does not work, it would be okay maybe as a prenventave since its not so harsh, but if you already have sick fish, levimasole is the only one thats gonna work effectively.

9. AquaNoob Member Member

Noo, Rest In Peace your fish hope you don't have to experience this again
    did you read on how to disinfect its stickied also you should definitely euthanize the nematoded ones to make sure they don't get tortured by evil intestine worms

10. Biev Member Member

We're talking about hundreds of potentially affected fish, I'm not going to kill them all when I can treat them - aside from wasting fish lives, that would pretty much bankrupt my business. I've read a few accounts of fenbendazole working, and a few of it not working. I suppose it depends on the area people live in - just like fleas get resistant to different locally used products. It sounds to me like it's worth a shot, but I ordered levamisole too just in case. I'll just resell what I don't end up using.

11. leelew32 Initiate Member

No It can be fixed. Don't ever fenbendazole directly in the tank tho, best approach is to get some blood worms and soak them in fenbendazole for at least an hour then feed that to your fish twice a day don't feed them anything else. I have lost more fish with livamisole then with fenbendazole. Please be aware there is also flubendasole as well which is safe for direct tank use as that is absorbed through there skin.

I used panacur here in the UK. I use 1/8 of a tsp with enough bloodworms for them. The blood worms turn grey ish once soaked. The good thing about doing it this way too is that they eat it. Male sure you do a good hoover after 24 hours. I have had this 3 time now in the past. I have literally just beat this again my self. It came with my EBJ

If fenbendazole does not work for you I would try waterlife anti flukes and worms. That active ingredient is flubendasole. I just found those to less harsh than livemisole my self. I've never lost a fish using the other two but have lost tetra and various other small fish with livemisole that why I use it last. As you mention some strains are resistant so it's nice to have 3 options.

Hang in there you can save them I'm sure

Just seen you have nerites. They need to go if your going to use flubendasole as it my hurt them.

12. Biev Member Member

The problem is that the parasite also spends some of its life stages in the water, so treating with medicated food doesn't sound like it would be enough... It's a start though, for sure! I ordered medicated flakes, but I also called my cat's vet and asked if they'd sell me some panacur for the fish. They said yes, if I tell them exactly how much I need. Which is what I'm having a hard time figuring out...

I asked the "fish vet" I work with, if she could help me figure out what dosage to use. She said she doesn't actually know enough about fish, and doesn't know any proper aquatic vets, and I'm on my own, basically! I'm pretty discouraged, honestly.

I thought: what if I move all of the fragile species to a quarantine tank while I'm treating everyone else? But of course they can't all go together - my axolotls will eat each other's limbs, as well as whatever else will fit in their mouths, and I'm already using my divider trying to keep two cichlid females from killing each other. I also don't have enough filters to set up separate QT tanks for all...

13. leelew32 Initiate Member

Q tank wont help If one has it they all have it. Talking from my own experience with these. I have cured this 3 time over the space of 10 years. Fenbendazole will kill them. Because of there life cycle tho you will need to treat once then again the week after to get them all. I use 1/8th tsp in a little water and enough food for my fish. My tank is a 50g if that helps.

Your only other option is livimisole and expect some deaths if u use that. Though It will work too. One reason I use fenbendazole is that it's less stressful the second is livimisole is what the if fish farms use and because of this I e found it to be less effective. I had to do exactly the same when I went to the vets too. When I get home ill dig out all my notes and research for you

This is a long thing to cure and won't happen over night. You gotta dig your heals in and you and your fish will pull through. Tread1 week then leave the next week then treat again. Only feed your fish the treated food and nothing else. I truly wish you good luck with this i hate it but you can fix it with hard work. I almost forgot once you feed them medicated food do a really good gravel vac 24h later to get all the worms they poop out. Very imported to do or you will be stuck in a loop

14. queeqyo Initiate Member

My hillstream loaches survived being in a tank treated with levamisole drops as well as fenbendazole-soaked bloodworms (as with the comment above, I used Panacur dog dewormer). It's a pain to get rid of Camellanus worms but it can definitely be done! Some of my fish had visible worms too but are doing fine now. Don't give up yet!

15. leelew32 Initiate Member

That's the trick don't give up like queeqyo says