alkaline hard water species

1. deon junior Member Member

hi am looking for suggestions for my new 40gl tank. the water that i use is mildly hard and alkaline. except for guppies,mollys and platys what could i keep in this tank that woud do well in a community tank that is alright with hard and alkaling water?

2. LockedBox Member Member

Invertebrates love hard, alkaline water! Shrimp such as amano shrimp, red cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp will get on well in this sort of tank, and they'll help you keep your algae under control. But you will want to be careful with tankmates, as many carnivorous fish will view them as food and eat them.

Also, I hear that snails such as apple snails are good because of their vivid colours and large size, but you may end up with a million of them so be sure to think it over first.

3. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

The first fish that came to my mind are dwarf emerald rasboras. Keep in mind that they're a small fish, therefore should not be housed with fish large enough to eat them. You can house quite a few of them in a 40 gallon due to their small size. Other fish like endlers will work too, but they're quite similar to guppies and the rasboras have a more unique appearance. :)
    Also, most fish can adapt to whatever water you're using as long as you acclimate them before introducing them to the tank, just because a fish prefers soft acidic water doesn't mean it'll die if kept in hard alkaline water, it also depends on how fragile the species is.

4. sanjin Well Known Member Member

Rainbowfish like alkaline water - you'd need to choose a smaller species based on the size of your tank though.

5. ray_sj Member Member

6. manatee Initiate Member

My well water is hard buffering my ph. Acclimation is the best bet using a drip line I have found that I can keep quite a few different types of fish providing the water does not change with each water change and you are not trying to mess with the water with chemicals, ie, peat or ph adjusters

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I recently moved into that same situation and I can attest that my rainbows LOVE the new water. Actually all of my fish are carrying better colors now than they were before, my serpe tetras are as red as tomatoes! Even my lone scared to death of anything that moved tiger barb comes out of hidding more often and has great color in him.

8. deon junior Member Member

yea i have kept serpae tetras in hard water before as well. i wanted to get soem rainbows for my new 40gl but wasnt sure if they are ok in hard water

9. deon junior Member Member

thanks for the link!

10. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I hate to say that rainbows in a 40 are not going to be a good mix unless they are the smaller rainbows.

11. deon junior Member Member

what type of rainbows would be ok?