Aliens In The Tank

1. Jen_Ben_SP

Jen_Ben_SP New Member Member

Hi everyone! I have one betta and one snail in a 5 gallon fresh water tank. I changed aquariums three days ago and discovered these two things this morning. Does anyone know what they are and what, if anything, I should do about them?

Thanks so much! :)

Attached Files:

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I'm guessing they are snail eggs. Not sure what kind. If you don't find any hitch hikers on plants, then your snail was evidently pregnant. If you want more snails, let them hatch. If not, toss them. I raised some baby trap door snails and they were kind of fun to watch.

3. OP
    OP
    Jen_Ben_SP

Oh! That makes sense, thank you! I panicked and went right into alarm mode lol.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

It looks a good deal like some old food that is fungused over

5. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

What kind of snail do you have?

6. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I'm going with the aliens diagnosis.

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

What was in this tank before you moved your Betta and snail over to it? They look to me like some kind of dead fish that have been in there long enough to lose all color and became transparent.

8. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I thought about food too but do you think it would have that much fungus on it already if she just cleaned 3 days ago? Could be.

9. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I've seen food entirely covered in just a day, so I guess it's possible

10. OP
    OP
    Jen_Ben_SP

The snail is a nerite.

LOL Aliens are my go-to conclusion on most things. :D

The aquarium is new. I switched them over to this new aquarium because the one they were in before no longer has filters being made for it (Top Fin, Betta Flow, 3.5 gallon). The betta and snail are the only two I've ever had. :)

11. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Those are not like any nerite eggs I have seen. Nerite eggs look like little flat sesame seeds.

12. OP
    OP
    Jen_Ben_SP

Okay, the common replies seem to be that they are most likely fungus so I will get the net and pull them out. Blah!

Thanks everyone! <3

13. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

A turkey baster can be your best friend when things like this alien show up :) A net might spread it but a baster should get every bit of it. We all know that just a drop or two of an alien can grow another one :D

14. OP
    OP
    Jen_Ben_SP

Awesome, thank you! :D

15. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

It looks like food that has sprouted fungus to me. Do you feed your nerite algae wafers? Those grow fungus in a matter of hours.

If not, it could also be that your snail was irritated by something on his foot and slimed to get it off. Mine sometimes do that and leave behind gross looking goo.

16. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

you know it looks alot like what grows on new driftwoord, its the same consistancy and color. folks round here call it wood snot haha

17. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

Every time I or my betta scare my Nerites they just goo everywhere, such a funny sight, but also kind of unsettling

18. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

Did anyone else think of the youtube channel, Aquapros, when you saw aliens in the title?