Alien invasion????

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Spunkymonkey, Apr 5, 2010.

1. S

Spunkymonkey New Member Member

Ok, just found this forum as I was searching to try and identify the attached something that I noticed hanging at the surface of one of my tanks last night. It's about 3 mm (1/8 inch) in length and there seem to be a few more of them, but smaller, in the gravel.

The tank is a reasonably established 3 gallon occupied by 2x platys, 2x mollies, 2x neons and 2x African dwarf frogs who all seem to get on well together. The only recent addition has been a live plant which donated a few snails and (I guess) these guys.

But what on (or off!!!) earth are they???

Attached Files:

2. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

Is it alive!!??!!

can it move itself or does it float in the water current?

To me, it looks like a bulb with fungus on it.... but you don't have any bulbs... :/

3. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

That certainly is odd looking. Now I'm interested as well. By the way; did you mean to say 30 gallon tank?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Do you feed your ADF's frog and tadpole bites? Kind of looks like that, with mold growing on it.

Otherwise, I don't have any idea.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Spunkymonkey New Member Member

Not sure if it can move itself - I can't see it today so it's either drifted, moved, or been eaten. The ADFs are on a mix of dried / frozen daphnia and blood-worm at the moment but the size of this seems too big for any of the food they've had.

Sorry for the typo on tank size btw - well spotted ppate. I meant 8 gallon, which is a bit like a 3 but in a completely different part of the keyboard ??? It's a small one I set up after my partner's daughter "treated me" to a clawed frog as a surprise - didn't want the little guys snacked on so they got a new home.

The catfish and shark in t'other tanks seem to be able to fend for themselves against the eating-machine but the little guys were getting their toes nibbled a little too often for comfort!

6. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Spunkymonkey.:;hi2

I agree that it just looks like some excess food with mould growing on it.

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

i used to feed my dwarf puffer with dried shrimp and when he didn't eat them they'd end up looking like that after a day or 2, they had more of a curve to them but almost identical otherwise.

8. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Looks like Food with mold to me. :;hi2 Welcome to FL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice