Algie on side of tank

1. werwer2016 Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank that has only recently started to get algie on the side of the tank. I just did a 10 % water change Friday and it is back again. The pH and the ammonia are fine. The only thing that has changed is about a week ago I added three baby mollies in with the two adults I had, also have four Cory catfish.

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

They Cory's need to be removed and they also need to be in groups of six. alegea thrives when it gets alot of light,only leave your lights on for six hours a day and reduce the amount of food your feeding that should solve your problem.

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

A 10 gallon is too small for mollies or cories. The waste they're putting out is too high for a tank that size plus they'll get to big or need to be in larger numbers than your tank can handle. Algae gets a foothold because there's lots of food available.

What are your ammonia and pH readings exactly? Do you have nitrites and nitrates?

4. werwer2016 Member Member

not sure what you mean by nitrites and nitrates. This is all new to me. I did test the ph and it is 7.6 and the ammonia is 0

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

When a tank is cycled it means that you have special bacteria growing in the filter that eat your fish's ammonia waste and turn it into nitrites. Then more bacteria turn those into nitrates. Water changes remove those nitrates to keep them at a level that's safe for your fish!

Did you add a bacterial product to your tank when you added fish?

6. werwer2016 Member Member

no I didn't .

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a water test kit? Liquid tests are actually cheaper in the long run than paper strips and more accurate. Or your LPS should be able to test for you but be sure to get the numbers and write them down;)

8. werwer2016 Member Member

Had the nitrite and nitrate checked and they were fine. 1465950791719.jpg Here is what my tank looks like.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What were the numbers?

10. werwer2016 Member Member

Nitrates are 20 ppm, nitrites are 0 ppm

11. werwer2016 Member Member

Can I take a green scrubby to clean the glass

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

As long as it says it's safe for glass. Green ones, on some brands anyway, are often too coarse, but that same brand makes a blue one that's gentler. You can buy ones that are meant for algae on glass in the aquarium section at your LPS if you want to be sure!

13. werwer2016 Member Member

So why do you think this is happening. The man at Petsmart can't understand why I'm having this problem.

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Most likely because you're overstocked and there's too much food available so the algae is taking advantage of it.

15. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I somehow can never grow algae in my tanks. I have my light on for 12 hours, but I have 4 community tanks which are very stable. I have tried to make some and put extra food in but it just gets eaten up(they aren't starved). But back to your topic, when you have the light on for 10-12 hours, there's a lot of poop and left over food in tank then that's how algae starts to grow.

16. werwer2016 Member Member

I know that my tank is overstated but I hate to get rid of the three babies My wife is getting attached to them.

17. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Get another tank for the babies

18. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Well, they're going to stressed in a tank that's too small which will make them more susceptible to diseases and they may also experience stunting and shortened lifespans. They need a new tank, either at your house or someone else's:-\

19. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I just use a soft toothbrush to clean alegea off,be careful though if you do that I already made the mistake of using it.