Algea problems

Adrianem99

Reaction score
HI I need some advice this is my 30 gallon with an ac50 and sponge filter, sand and fluval 3.0 it used to be my community tank but Since end of February I turned it into a blue velvet shrimp tank. Last 6 months I was having algae issues, and a trumpet snail issues and I used to have all my light settings at 100% (same amount of time) Reached out to LFS for advice and started using phosguard and turned down my light settings. it seems to be doling better but definitely not where I want it to be I almost just want to throw away all the plants and start over.
Currently I have 7 shrimp, 2 entire snails, still some MTS but cut down significantly and I threw in a baby 1 inch Cory and a couple 1 inch bn plecos.

Attachments

BobbyGregg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like the start of black beard algae you can take a qtip or a long rounded brush and clean the plants use the baby bottle cleaner tool or look into gettin a siamese algae eater they love that stuff. I have 6 tanks my biggest is a 60 gallonand I sometimes see it in my tanks. I have 1 siamese algae eater and he controls all the tanks. I don't see any bba in any of my tanks

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do not use PO4 removing media, it's a macro nutrients plants need in large quantities. PO4 alone does not cause algae.

Reduce light intensity if possible.

Reduce photoperiod to 5 hours per day max (until algae has subsided, then slowly increase back up to 8 hours per day over a few weeks).

Ensure you are providing adequate nutrients for the plants (unhealthy plants promote algae).

Dose Flourish Excel or equivalent Met14 at the “after water change” rate on the Excel bottle once per day.

Manually remove all algae you can.

Manually remove excess organics in the tank by gravel vacuuming and cleaning filter media in old tank water every water change.

Manually remove any decaying or dead plant matter.

Increase water change frequency, and the amount of water changed.

Consider spot treating badly affected areas or dipping plants / hardscape in a Flourish Excel, Met14 or H2O2 + water solution. Google search which method you think would work well, and for general ratios to mix a safe solution. Certain plants can’t tolerate these chemicals, so ensure you do a little research prior to dipping / spot treating plants.

If using CO2, ensure CO2 is dropping the pH of the tank water a full 1.0 – 1.2. To do this, measure the pH of tank water with no CO2 dissolved in it, and then measure again 2-3 hours after CO2 has been running. Ensure the drop in pH is a full 1.0-1.2. If the drop is not there yet, slowly up CO2 over a few weeks until at least a 1.0 drop is achieved, and watch fish / livestock carefully. Adjust CO2 down if you notice fish gasping at the surface and consider running an airstone at night when pushing a 1.2 or greater drop. For example, a tank water pH of 7.5 with no CO2 dissolved in it, should reach a pH of 6.5 – 6.3 for CO2 to really shine, and for maximum plant health.

Consistency in CO2 levels is key to plant health. Keep CO2 levels as stable as possible once a desirable level has been reached.

New Threads