Algea problems

BodhyFleerackers

Reaction score
I recently redid my tank and i'm really satisfied with the result, but I'm still having some algae problems, does anyone have any tips other than watet changes and cutting down light hours. I also wanted to ask if cutting light hours only helps to prevent algae or also gets rid of already existing algea.

Ps: I attached a picture if my tank.

Attachments

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you know where your nitrate and phosphate levels are in the tank?

Algae uses photosynthesis to grow, and it 'eats' the excess nutrients in your tank. If there are a lot of these nutrients in excess, you'll have more algae issues. (perhaps even specific types of algae). I always recommend people test their tank, if either of these components are testing high, than they could add a nitrate or phosphate remover media to the filter to help skI'm out some of the excess without doing massive or frequent daily water changes.

Its likely one or the other is going to test high, you wouldn't have algae without them. I'm betting the concentration is the issue. So, even though you're doing water changes, the overall saturation is so high that the water change isn't diluting the concentration enough. The media pad should help, I always have issues with my phosphate.

dcutl002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Short answer: no. :(. partial water changes lower the Nitrate levels in the tank and helps to control the growth. (algae loves high nitrate levels and excess light). Some things to try: 1. You may need to raise your light some to lower the amount of PAR that the plants receive. 2. limit hours of light exposure.
3. Keep nitrates low with PWCs. 4. Inject CO2. 4. Dose with Metricide 14. Keep in mind that 0.6 ml Metricide 14 ~ 1 ml Excel.

New Threads