Algea problem

1. Salazar Member Member

I have a serious algea problem in my lighted 1 gallon tank with a betta in it. It has a really small live plant. It has a filter, but I turned it off because it sucked in one of his fins. I did an entire tank cleaning. Like, I took him out and everything. The algea grew back within a week. It is green and slimy. Is it bad for my fish like some algae is, and how do I get rid of it?

:;hi1

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

it isn't necessarily bad for the fish, but it sounds to me like you have a bit too much light for your tank. You can try a 5 day blackout of the tank to kill off the algae and then just cut down the light time every day.

3. Salazar Member Member

I turn the light off every night, but I guess I turn it off a little bit late at night. I'll try to keep the light off for a few days. Thx!

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

5. toosie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore Salazar!

pirahnah3 has given you some good advice. If it's slimy, instead of being algae it could be cyanobacteria. Either way, pirahnah3's advice will help you get rid of it.

6. Salazar Member Member

thanks. that was very helpful. apparently, my algae is blue green algae. i did not turn the light on this morning.

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

A simple timer would help a lot too ;)

Also worth considering parameters. Phosphate/Nitrate?

Along with the black-out, regular water changes can also help.

taken from http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com.au/ (My favourite algae reference)

edit: Personally, I would never add a chemical/algaecide to my tank, there are other ways to control it as mentioned.

8. Salazar Member Member

ok. i have absolutely no idea what the phosphate or nitrate are in my tank. don't have a test kit. thanks for the algea website reference. and, where would i get a timer and how are they set up?

9. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Most pet stores have timers. I just bought some for a couple of my tanks and love them. I have the lights on for about 10-12 hours a day. But I have live plants and corals my fish only tanks get about 8-10 hours depending on if they are in direct sunlight or not.

10. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I would think that Walmart/Lowes and the like would also have timers, you can get cheaper manual ones or more expensive digital tricky ones. I personally use the cheaper ones on my FW planted (digital tricky one on my reef), they usually have 'tabs' on a dial that you select when you want on time and off time.

I would think you should be able to find one for about $10 or less. Pet stores probably are more expensive, but anywhere that sells electrical stuff should have timers. [if they sell power strips, they probably sell timers]

It would also be worthwhile taking a water sample to your LFS to figure out where your parameters are at. Many may charge a small fee, others will do it for free.

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Oh I forgot to mention I would turn back on your filter that will help keep the tank cleaner plus your betta needs a filtered tank.

If you are still having issues with his fins getting sucked in maybe look into covering the intake tube with panty hose.

12. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

+1
    Make sure the panty-hose are new, never seen detergent :D

13. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It's really hard in a 1g tank to keep the nitrate levels down. Even doing 100% water changes leaves food and waste in the substrate and algae loves those conditions.
    If you clean the substrate as well as do 100% water changes you could lose too much of your beneficial bacteria.

My suggestion is move to a larger tank. 10g even a 5g is so much easier to take care of and the parameters are much more stable.
    Carol

14. Salazar Member Member

ok. ill put pantyhose on. sadly, i don't have and don't have room for a bigger tank. i would love to upgrade.
    :;betta2